Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another t-5 thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchbender54, May 7, 2006.

1. I was pouring over some old threads about the t-5 trans, and I found one that said the t-5 is a direct swap for a Muncie/ Saginaw 4 speed. I'm just wondering how much difference there is in the trans mount location. My 54 has a 261 with a Sag. 4 speed right now, but I'm thinking of swapping in a t-5. I've got one in a junk '87/'88 4 cyl S-10. Obviously the drive shaft will need to be shortened. Do you have to run the hydro clutch, or will the stock '54 fork and linkage work? Can someone with a little more experience please shed some light on this for me?

2. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

I think that the t-5 has the same mount location as a 700r4, which is 2" farther back than the th350 or muncie. I don't know about the linkage but the stock stuff should work as long as the bellhousing and clutch arm is the same as the '55 up chevy stuff. Some of the t-5s have a spacer sleeve around the front retainer that needs to be removed for it to fit in a car bellhousing.

3. It's the 261 bellhousing (2 1/2 ton truck), so that should be fine. I just checked out both Inliners, and THe Stovebolt Pages, looking for t-5 info. They mention the Astro clutch, and the Vega clutch. Does anyone know if either would work with my stock 261 flywheel?

4. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

I have one in my 70 chevy pu. I used the astro clutch disk with the stock 70 pressure plate, throw out bearing, linkage and fly wheel. Works like a charm.

5. Here's a link to a guy that is filled with knowledge. I just bought a truck bellhousing from him. His name is Tom Langdon, here's his phone # 586 739 9601. http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/ Hope this helps, Dean