Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another Stupid Trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Plan II" is working as Jim planned. Many of you probably have already forgotten Plan I. See anything that's familiar in this photo that's in current photo's posted earlier on this thread ? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    rjones35, AHotRod, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

els and loudbang like this.
  3. So Squirrel,...what's the status on your pickup and trailer? are they where you left em or did someone come and get them for you,...I'm sure others are also wondering.
    thanks

4. squirrel

squirrel

The 55 had a 454.

Keep looking... :)

The truck and trailer are at the towing yard, I will deal with them when I get back. Too much going on with the II to be worrying about them now. Nothing I can do to fix the truck till I get home, anyways.

Had a fun day yesterday. Friday is a late day, racing starts at noon and it's the other cars (Street Machine Eliminator) that run first. So we prepped the car and hung out in the pits congratulating others for getting back to Cordova...the road is our common enemy on this gig.

It got a little warm out, by local standards, but it was pretty nice for us folks used to the heat. I figured there was no way I was going to go quicker than I had the past two days, so I just concentrated on driving the same as I had been. We had been working all week on getting a maintenance routine going, and it now included doing the tire swap and drop the exhaust, double check lug torque and tire pressure, make sure the converter bolts are tight, check timing, check for full throttle, remove hood and secure hardware and prop rod, make sure the ear plugs are visible (they sit in the ash tray) so I remember to put them in, and double check that all loose items are out of the car.

I made my pass, it felt good. The drive down the return road to pick up the time slip is kind of nerve wracking...did I go too fast? did I go fast enough? But this time it was just what I wanted, 10.09. I knew I had second place.

Jay Grabiak in the gray 55 has been getting better every year, and what he does with a little naturally aspirated small block is amazing. This year he really made me step up my game, and I was lucky that I was able to get a good run every day. I've never run as consistently fast as I did this week, and it's all thanks to Jay pushing me.

We left the awards ceremony around 10 pm or so, and hit the road for St Louis. We got in around 3:30 am, kind of tired. I got a couple hours sleep then woke up and could not get back to sleep, so we are getting ready to head to the ZT Drags right now.

time slip fri.jpg results day 5.jpg

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Curious why you took the hood off....is the car faster with it of?

Stogy, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  6. I've got to think the guy with the Ranchero has more tied up in his engine than you might have in your whole operation. Good luck on the ZT drags and it should be entertaining to see.

7. Loved watching you on the live feed!

8. Blower, and the color?

pat59, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  9. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't have the chance to watch any of the live feed, just caught up on things through the H.A.M.B.
    IMHO, if you factor in the whole picture including the fact that you DROVE your Chevy II to get there, made it through the whole Drag Week scenario, ran as consistently as you did, pitched in to help other competitors, and let us follow along on the trip....
    Maybe the real Drag Week winner isn't always the one with the big trophy. :)

brEad, Hnstray, firstinsteele and 9 others like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

The blower is the only part. Color is close... But Plan II is the 1962 shade of red.

Neat car here at the drags today.

[​IMG]

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that was a pretty good week of racing. Would liked to have seen you win money marbles and chalk though.
    For those who want to watch they do replay the live feeds. I'm not sure if they are in their entirety or edited a bit though. I know one thing watching either live or the replay is a hell of a lot more fun and interesting than watching the "pro only" coverage of NHRA drags.
    You have to poke around the Hot Rod dot com site to find it http://www.hotrod.com/
    They also show 100+ photos from each day and Jim and RacerX both got several photos in those.

12. 37 Chevys are great looking cars!

kiwijeff, els and loudbang like this.
  13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Looking across those times, it seems to me that Jarred, Jim, and Jay all had their game faces on this week.

It's obvious your car has more to give Jim, but is it worth the effort to go chasing a guy that can turn in time slips in the 8's? If it were me, I would not want to change anything but the oil in a car that can drive several thousand miles and make multiple 10 second passes without major incident. It is quite a testament to your build and grit.

14. There was a 37 that color years ago running a straight 6 and flying.

loudbang, flatford39 and els like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

This is that one. 292 Chevy with a big turbo and runs mid 8s

greasemonkey54, swade41, els and 10 others like this.
  16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

What a helluva a week and ride you took us on Jim! Congratulations to all! I for one really enjoyed it! The thing is it's really only half over! Now the return trip and the rescuing of the truck and the trailer! You'll have us checking in here for a couple more weeks! Joe

els, greaser and loudbang like this.
  17. Probably the same car just different wheels, I saw it 15 years ago or so. Pretty damned impressive car ! P.S. How the heck are you still functioning and awake ? I'd be sleeping for a week after this trip.

18. ...here's some pics of that 37 from a few years back , different intake set-up and wheels, it's one of my favorite 37's,...that car is unique and awesome...
    ...good luck on your ride home Jim.
    cordova 08 071.jpg cordova 08 073.jpg cordova 08 075.jpg

19. flatford39

flatford39

els, oldsjoe, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  20. I hope all them tubes and turbos and hoses and stuff don't muffle that engine too much. That big six running in the 8s has got to have a sound all its own! :eek:

21. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Congrats Jim, that's some good wheeling and wrenching!!

22. Really enjoyed the show you put on Jim, nice clean runs,fast, and on target. It was a exciting DW this year. The gasser classes are really coming into their own, great cars. Thanks for the ride! have a safe trip home.:)

23. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! we are ready to hit the road towards home, with a stop in NM to meet my wife and get the truck. 1464 miles to go...what could possibly go wrong?

24. Great show! Be safe.

You, Jim, are one of the FEW reasons for opening the H.A.M.B. each day.

Ben

25. Safe travels Jim, how far can you get between fill-ups ?

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jim.Thanks for the great ride along.You Sir,have had a great week(other than the trans dieing).Have really enjoyed it.Keep us posted as you are able.Have a safe trip home.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm riding shotgun for a little while so I can play on the phone. We had some fun today, the car started handling worse than normal. It was getting kind of scary. Couldn't find anything loose. Finally realized it felt like the traction bars were misadjusted. I backed them both off a ways and that fixed it.

Dan got to visit his brother, who lives on the way.

We will stop at Mike s in Tulsa also.

Waved at Ryno when we went through Joplin.

kiwijeff, AHotRod, els and 6 others like this.
  28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

If anyone deserves a little break from behind the wheel it's you Jim! Safe travels and thanks again. Joe

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

And of course it's been raining a lot today. My feet were soaked after being under the car so much. I had to change my socks and shoes

[​IMG]

AHotRod, els, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

still has a handling issue. Kind of like sometimes one axle does not engage when giving it some gas (it has a Detroit Locker). I guess we'll get home ok..

IMG_20170917_185949.jpg IMG_20170917_201548.jpg