Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another s-10 t-5 to flathead adapter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimW, Sep 22, 2004.

1. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Looking for a little info. I have a s-10 5 speed and 50 8ba engine. I know cornhuskers and speedway both sell adapters and kits. I have read a couple of post where guys used the late flathead bellhousings and ford t-5's and just modified the ford bellhousing. Does anyone know if the early 85-92 s-10 transmissions can be made to work with the late bellhousing? I am a toolmaker and have access to lathes and mills so fabricating flat adapter plates and bushings... not a problem. Basically just trying to save a few bucks to spend on other parts of the build. I don't have a bellhousing, so I can't mock it up to see what would be needed. I know that the cornhusker kit is pretty complete, but also pricey and if I have to buy an adapter I will probably go with the speedway adapter and fab the rest. Input and pics would really be appreciated. Thanks Tim

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know if the early 85-92 s-10 transmissions can be made to work with the late bellhousing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should work fine with same mods. You'll need to fab a pilot bushing, but sounds like you've got that covered. You may need to fab a bushing for the input shaft so your throwout bearing rides true on the shaft.

Sounds like you've searched the archives on this - lots of good info there.

[​IMG]

3. krooser

krooser

Read somewhere that the later T-5 (93-up) fits the 8BA with no changes...don't know for sure.

4. disastron13

disastron13

5. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

No, it's a ton of work and not worth it.

The skinny pattern Ford T5 and late GM T5 work with the late Ford bellhousing because the two bottom holes line up perfectly, one of the top holes only needs to be redrilled, and the other top hole needs a SMALL tab welded to the bellhousing. Open up the retainer hole in the bellhousing and you're good to go.

If you use the wide pattern early GM T5, NONE of the holes line up with the bellhousing. You either have to use an adapter plate, do extensive modifications to the bellhousing, or use an adapter bellhousing.

6. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

You didn't mention what car it's going into, or what pedal arrangement.

I'd use an adapter bellhousing in cars that use stockish pedals from '32-48 and use the later Ford bellhousing in cars using modern pedals like '50 Fords.