Register now to get rid of these ads!

another rustolium question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hippie6, Jun 25, 2007.

1. hippie6

hippie6

I've been reading alot lately about rustolium paint jobs, on both the hamb and hot rod magizine. I haven't heard anybody talk about just rolling on the paint and then wet sanding. The article in hot rod thinned it down and took 6 or 7 coats to get good coverage. Is there a problem with drying time when not thinned?? I know it won't look like a "real" paint job but with $30/$40 left each week I don't have much to spend if I ever want to get this car done. Plus I REALLY like the thought of doing everything in my garage!!

2. Yes,it can be done.I've done that with 1-Shot.

First choice would be to add hardener,
    so it sets up quicker and harder.

I know John Deer sells hardener,to go with their line of paint.
    TSC is supposed to have hardener as well.

Definately need a mask,and LOTS of ventilation.

3. twofosho

twofosho

I don't why you'd want to brush or roll paint on something, just to expend a large amount of time and effort sanding/compounding it smooth, when a small compressor and a halfway decent paint gun will give you the same or better results with far less time/energy expended. Also, keep in mind this is an enamel, it surface hardens first and the under layers slowly harden over time, without the expense and added steps of artificially hardening it with additives, it's difficult to sand it with good success.
    I've shot rustoleum for years with a small Craftsman air compressor and an old MBC gun (it has a standard automotive #30 nozzle). With any kind of reasonable surface prep, use of a properly thinned compatible primer, and slight thinning of the topcoat paint itself, you can get great results. I feel the stuff is as good or better as paints costing far more money. I use it on chassis parts all the time. It's got great flow out, it's as tuff as nails, lasts a long time, and unlike powdercoating, it's repairable. Just don't be afraid to treat it as a "proper" paint job. Keeping a coat of wax on it doesn't hurt either.

4. hunter

hunter

I've heard about the rustoleum paint deal but check into john deer paints. they have a really nice satin called blitz black and a medium and gloss. its a lacquer but i've sprayed it over regular martin senor sealer and it came out good. the john deer stuff comes in spray cans, quarts and gallons. Around here a quart is $10 bucks