Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. spanners

spanners

Something to consider. Leave the plain water in the system for now to avoid the issue I had on the dyno. When the revs built up it blew the lower hose off showering everyone with coolant. Luckily no injuries but could've been expensive if it was the good stuff. That was caused by my custom hose fitting which I rectified.
    As far as posting videos, I downloaded to youtube and then transfer them to the thread.

2. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea. Considering I've already wasted 10L of it so far. Will try the YouTube thing

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crosley likes this.
  4. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First time I've ever uploaded video footage to the Interwebs.. hopefully it worked?

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  5. spanners

spanners

Worked good from where I'm sitting, both video and engine. I like the way the family gets into it too.

6. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear it worked. Yes the whole family love the "race car" luckily my wife grew up with cars and motorbikes thanks to her old man who is helping me in the video

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thoroughly enjoyed the vid, the sound, the manager's videography, and the "muff"s on the Kids. :cool:

8. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you enjoyed it. I can tell you I didn't mind it either!!

Anyway, car is off to be run in and dyno tuned while I head back to work on the other side of the country. It's going to be a long week. Once I get back from work I'll have a few little things to finish and then hit Carralbyn for a few shakedown runs.

Here is my youngest "helping" load it up.

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  9. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Lookin' good there brother. See you on the weekend.

BS! likes this.
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

"It's Alive"! Always a great step forward when you make noise for the first time. Seems like tradition with my builds that it usually happens about 11:30 PM.:rolleyes:

BS! likes this.
  11. spanners

spanners

Come on Brendon, don't be shy. How did it go at Caralbyn and more importantly, did you enjoy it?

12. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a great event but unfortunately the car did not make it. I got properly stitched up by the "tuner". Turns out this bloke shouldnt be changing lawn mower spark plugs let alone touching peoples cars.

Long story but I dropped the car off on my way to the airport/work last week. First mistake was not trusting my gut. When I got to the workshop he works out of I didnt have a great feeling about it but I had a plane to catch so I left it with him emphasising that I'll be back in a week to pick it up and go racing. He ensured me that would be fine.

I didnt hear from him all week and rang him as I was waiting at the airport to fly home from Perth to confirm it was still on track for me to collect the next day. All of a sudden, after not hearing from him all week he started making excuses. Instantly I knew my initial gut feeling was right. This dickhead was a pretender.

Fuming, I rocked up with the car trailer once I get home. What I discover is he has disconnected one set of points and 2 of the 3 carbys. So running worse than what it was when I dropped it off.....

Trying hard to fight the urge to murder this prick I took the car home, unloaded it in the garage and then headed off with the family to Kooralbyn to camp with friends trying not to think about it.

After a weekend away I lifted the roller door and assessed the situation. Brand new dizzy from dave a vintage racing developments as I said had one set of the dual points disconnected, the set that was still connected had been messed with and as a result the wire to the points had been rubbing on the rotor and had rubbed through to bare wire. The dizzy cap had the carbon button snapped off the underside of it and as a result the spark had been arcing out and destroyed the rotor button.

With the carbs he only had the center carb operating and he told me the radiator was leaking so that is as far as he could go. I've since pressure tested the cooling system and can guarentee it aint leaking.....

He also has managed to loose some of the washers under the bolts holding the body panels on and has scratched the shit out of the ceramic coating on the headers.

Im absolutely furious. Anyway im back to work tomorrow, I've got 3 weeks to get over it and start again..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Crosley likes this.
  13. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a side note Brians car looks really good and appeared to be running strong all day. It was super hot and humid all weekend but looked like a heap of fun.

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  14. spanners

spanners

That would piss me off. I know that time wasn't on your side but look around for an old school tuner or have a go yourself. As for the distributor, get in touch with Dave that built it as to adjustment. I do mine by ear. Get it running, preferably in a deserted industrial subdivision, crank it up and adjust it till it runs smooth.

Crosley and BS! like this.
  15. BS!

BS!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats the new plan. I'm going to go over everything, start from scratch and have a crack myself. Ive already spoken to dave and hes given me some good instructions on how to check and reset everything so will let you know how I get on. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back but all good. I'll get it sorted

Crosley likes this.