Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another old man remembering youth

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by TraderJack, Apr 10, 2008.

1. TraderJack

TraderJack

Howdy, partners. My last hot rod was sold in 1948 when I got married and went to college in Berkeley, however that did not mean I forgot the hobby. Went to the first Bonneville, still have the program, and believe it or not my picture is in it, with my brother Hank, in Paul Schiefer's Speed Shop in San Diego, joined the San Diego Roadster Club until 1948. Ran my 33 at the lakes, and built the first shortened bed T in 1947, used Bob Higbee's race car from, my T body and put on a 12" bed using chrome moly tubing. SCTA wouldn't let me run as a pickup because the bed was too short.
    That engine had popup piston, edelbrock head milled out for the pistons and a Winfield full race cam, and the Edelbrock Super manifold. Did all the engine work myself while working in Ed Stewart's Speed Shop in San Diego.l
    But then switched to sport cars with a TR3 and a Healey 4 Lemans. Then a 300 SL,
    Talk about inexpensive, The TR3 cost me $350 and the Healey cost me $450. But that was then and now is now.

Hope to post some pictures, if I can remember where I put them!

Trader Jack

2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Man it's great to hear stories from the real original guys who came along when hot rodding was in it's infancy! Please find and post some of your pictures. We would all love to see them on here as well as any car stories from your past. Enjoy yourself. Good to have you here......Don.

3. J3W3L$

J3W3L$

Ditto from me!

4. TraderJack

TraderJack

Don't know if that will work, but I will learn

Trader Jack

5. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

Hey Jack - - what dry lakes did you run at? My dad ran a bantam roadster with a modified Ford 60 at El Mirage and was in the Road Runners S.C.T.A. I still have his club plaque and his N.H.R.A. charter membership card signed by Wally Parks and Marvin Lee. Good to meet you.

6. welcome to HAMB jack,canr wait to see some picturesand hear some more stories

7. 52 csb

52 csb

Hi jack great to hear from you . I'm sure your brain will be picked here !