Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another ladder bar location question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waldo1949, Jan 21, 2013.

1. waldo1949

waldo1949
    from Illinois

I've seen ladder bars located under and inside rear frame rails. Mine is new 2X3 frame construction and I want to locate bars and coilover shocks outside the frame so they may be seen. I've altered the rear wheel base forward so there is no room to frame over bars. (seat clearence). Inside tire width is 40", ladder bars at 33" center, which would put frame at around 29" center. I'm sure it's been done but I haven't seen it.

2. We are replacing the radius roods on an old roadster with ladder bars. They will be outside of the chassis.

The problem I see with your coilovers outside the chassis is tire clearance and a place to mount the top of the shock, I suppose it can be done though.

3. waldo1949

waldo1949
    from Illinois

And another question, do the coilovers need to be directly behind the ladderbars or can they be located inside the bars? tire-ladderbar-frame-coilovers

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

If its a road car i would mount the front as close together as possible otherwise the rear axle becomes a sway bar :eek:

5. They don't have to attach to the rear of the ladder bar mount it is just the easiest place to mount them.

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You could easily just mount 1 coilover on the center off the rear-end housing with your wide ladderbar set-up :D [please don't do that]

A narrow spring base reduces the roll stiffness causing the body to [try to ] roll over more.
    Add to that a wide ladder bar set-up which acts like a SOLID anti roll bar.
    all the roll stiffness is transferred thru the front eyes of the ladder bars
    [they will break over time ]

In an ideal situation you need a Wide spring base and a Narrow Ladder bar.
    Look at 3rd / 4th Gen Camaro's, some Dirt cars or the humble old Ford torque tube for inspiration

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I like to mount them as far apart as possible, they don't have to be behind the rear bar mounts.