Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another 40 Ford question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OL 55, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I've done a search without much success and I've even PM'd some of you guys pestering you for info and pictures, but I still don't have what I need. I'm doing some upgrades on my 40 and the radiator was mounted by some young hot rodder back in the 60's, and while I applaud his efforts, as it did it's job all these years, the way the radiator is mounted is, well....lets just say not right and it's time for a change. I have no one who lives close by with a 40 that I can go look at so here I am, pestering you guys. Are you guys using the original hardware (bolt w/ springs etc.) or did you come up with a different approach? I'm looking for a good picture (during the build, without sheet metal) of how you mounted your radiator in your 40 Ford. I don't know if cars and trucks are different, but I'm working on a deluxe coupe. This is the only good picture I could find on a build thread of a pick up, but my radiator tabs are on the bottom of the radiator, not the side as pictured here. I appreciate any help you can give. - Andy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CruZer

CruZer

I don't have any pix because it was many years ago, but my Walker radiator in my '40 Deluxe came with tabs on the side close to the bottom and I mounted it with the original bolts and springs under the tabs . (They looked like valve springs). It never gave me any trouble and I put a lot of miles on that 40.

3. I'm no help, Andy, as I think the same "young guys" may have mounted the radiator in my '40 as well. Not the cleanest job by far though it has served me pretty well for 22 yrs. and who knows how many yrs. before I acquired the car. Good luck. I'm sure you will get it sorted out..Don.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Because your tabs are mounted on the bottom you may not be able to have the radiator sit as low as it does when the tabs are on the sides like the stock rad. Attached are pics of the stock rad mounting set up with the stock bolt and spring kit. If the rad was stock the tabs would rest on the top side of the lower frame rail with a pad inbetween and then the spring and bolt would be inserted up thru the frame from the bottom. That's how my radiator was in my 40 when it was stock. I have attached photos of how my radiator is installed today. The side tabs rest on the top of the bottom frame rail with a piece of 1/4 in. thick rubber in between the rail and the tab and then the bolt is inserted and sured using rubber pads, fender washers and a nut. No spring is used. I used this method as I wanted to get the radiator to sit just at the right height for hood and radiator/fan clearance. Car is 1940 Ford deLuxe coupe in avatar. It's been like this since 1999. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I always have mounted mine with the spring between the tab and the frame to absorb the shock of driving. If your tabs are on the bottom it is easy to cut them off and make new tabs the rad. frame is steel so it's easy to weld on new ones.

6. Thanks for all the info guys. I was suspicious that my radiator might not be from a 40. I wonder if the 41-48 radiator is as wide as the 40 radiator?

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The last one I did I improvised because I had no time and no springs.

I used 3/8 bolts - fender washers - rubber washers - nylock nuts.

Rubber washers under the rad bracket - under the fender washer and nut - fender washer under the bolt head ….. Like a body mount is done.

Sides should be steel .... weld on what you need.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Strange as it may be, the springs originally go between the bottom of the lower frame rail and the head of the bolt. But your way seems to make more sense re: vibration.

9. Thanks again for the help guys. I am running a SBC and my radiator appears to be narrower than the 40 unit, I have some measurements from OLscrounger so when I get home and I can measure it and find out for sure. Looks like I'm going to have to make a few improvements to what was there and run with it until I can save up for a Walker (or US radiator, or brassworks, or???)

Thanks for taking the time to take pic's and post them 19Fordy. You guys have been a lot of help. :)

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wood block shown was probably to center the fan more on the radiator and clear the top hose if it is in the center. Will work on a standard or pickup hood but can kiss the top of the radiator to hood on a deluxe.

11. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

^^ that was the case for me, I think I added 1/4" spacer where the wooden block is to give me just a little more clearance for the fan vs radiator shroud (SBC setup). I couldn't trim the shroud anymore and keep the structual integraty.

12. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Don't know if these will help or not, and this is a aftermarket Cornhusker's Chassis. Gary

Attached Files:

13. Update: OK, I got the measurements from olscrounger, and my radiator is shorter and narrower. Not a 40 radiator. That answers a lot of questions!! So for now I will just make some improvements to the existing mounts I have and run with it. Meanwhile, I'll be saving up for a Walker. Thanks again for all the help and pictures guys. - Andy

14. Will the Mustang radiator handle AC?? I'm planning on doing a few more road trips before I get too old, and the older I get, the more I'm thinking I need to add AC! I know, I'm a pussy, real hot rods don't have AC etc. etc....:rolleyes: Hell, it's already got radials, so if we need to call it a street rod, then so be it!I'd like to do a cross country trip in the next few years and even though I've traveled many miles in this car over the last 30 some years without it, I think the whole experience would be a lot nicer if I had AC when I need it. Of course, I've been saying this for the last 10 years and nothing has happened yet!

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Radiators from 40-41 O1T Big trucks wre also commonly used in 40 cars/pickups.
    If it is an original Ford radiator it will have ID stamped into the stock tank similar to that in GM radiators. O1A=40 car & pickup, 11A=41 car, 01T=40-41 Big Truck, somthing like that without of course the application lettering.
    The radiator mounting set had the spring under the frame rail and the rubber pad under the mounting tabs so the radiator could flex with the movement of the frame without tweaking it. Same set up was used on the fuel tanks at the rear, 32-48.

16. You posted-
    Will the Mustang radiator handle AC??
    Didn't mustangs have AC I'm thinkin they did.

17. Thanks for that info. I looked through my album and the only picture of the radiator is this partial one. The picture is from 1979 but the radiator is the same one I'm running today. Sure looks like a Ford radiator.

[​IMG]

18. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Mounting the radiater on the springs as I mentioned before also gives you more cooling area at the fan with a small block chev.