Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ANDY'S 3rd Annual PICNIC - July 1969 ... PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I looked a lot like the tykes you posted in 1969. It is very cool looking back at the bay area from decades past. Unfortunately I did not attend until the Solano co venue but it was a great show. Very laid back and fun. I also spotted that t bucket as a Himsl paint job. His talent was/is very unique and I remember looking at his work at the Grand National Roadster Show and at the Cow Palace. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres some pics of the Pontiac powered bucket. The pontiac rochester injection REALLY looks good IMO. Gotta like the early "Thompson" lettered Pontiac valve covers. This car was steel.

Attached Files:

• 103.jpg
      103.jpg
      File size:
      127.7 KB
      Views:
    • 104.jpg
      104.jpg
      File size:
      135 KB
      Views:
    • 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Thanks Todd!

I love getting to see your Dad's pictures. The pictures from the magazines of the day are great, but actually seeing the cars out and about and knowing that they were driven is so much cooler.

I second your idea of starting a post on pictures of Andy's picnics!

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Great stuff, thanks for sharing

5. Ricky B

Ricky B

Very cool pics !!!!! I've seen some of those cars BITD !!!

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. The 60's are dear to me as I got my license in 1960 and couldn't get enough of the hot rod scene. I always looked for coverage in the magazines of Andy's Picnic to see what he and Sue's efforts produced for each year.

Frank

7. Super post!!

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Purple Haze! Seen this one in HOT ROD Deluxe last year.

Thanks for the photos!

9. Heo

Heo

Thats the times that was the best nicely painted and cromed cars
    no rust bucket that drag their ass like a dog with an itch
    no rockabillysillys with their weekend lifestyle kit
    No blackhaired fat chicks with piercing all over their faces

Lil32 and Dooley like this.
  10. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That A Vicky is blowing my mind! Having grown up in the Bay Area (Richmond) I love seeing all the black CA plates!

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Those mags look like shallow-backspace 15x7s and I'll guess the redlines are F70s. Period perfect!

12. I love the pics, it's easy to get lost just lookin at them. Makes me wonder where they all are these days....

13. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Yep back in the day when people took pride in their rods. No rusty non painted or patina pieces of shit. If a car wasn't finished it didn't go to a run. Oh ya and where are all the tatooed and cuffed pants dudes and chicks? Bahahahahaaa!!!!!

Lil32 and Dooley like this.
  14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool to see these special photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

15. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Thanks for the post. I am so glad I will be going to the last(?) one. Better late than never!

16. Great pix and memories, "broken back" T buckets were all the rage and most of 'em scary as hell to drive.

17. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Amen brother.

Fordor Ron and Lil32 like this.
  18. swifty

swifty

Missed this first time around but sure enjoyed it this time. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post your Dad's slides.

Lil32 likes this.
  19. Frekn' awesome pictures dude.

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

this is the time period that I grew up with in regards to hot rodding
    I love that style, I guess I always will, just as a kid who was born in the later 40's early 50's loves a flatty deuce with black paint, I love a 40 Ford with big tires, slot rims or cragers with the rear tires sticking out the fenders..yellow spark plug wires etc...
    I had a conversation with my father about cars then and what it was like where we were is that a bunch of guys had hot rods, say a 40 Ford coupe, nice body decent paint, chrome etc good driver quality actually the chrome from the post war period lasted so much longer than shit now. Usually fitted with new motors, trans brakes etc, lots of family (wife) upholstery jobs using left over house carpet. Guys with families who wanted a hot rod without breaking the bank, good quality driver cars.
    To be sure there were a ton of show quality cars but most local guys had nice driver cars and that was good enough.

Flash forward to the 80's 90's where door fitment and gaps replacing parts on magazine builds to showcase a vendors part instead of fixing the existing etc. became anal, and everything had to be perfect and you can see how things had to come back to how they were then which they did with the early rat rod thing of the late 80's 90's

kidcampbell71 and RoddyB34 like this.
  21. Just a bump of an old thread ... 'cuz I spent a couple hours fixing all my posts with images hosted on Photobucket ... and replaced them with higher rez versions of the images.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I really appreciate that Hemi32 cuz somehow I missed this thread the first time, and 2nd time and....LOL

Your dad took some really nice pictures!!

kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  23. gonzo

gonzo

Those pictures are amazing and worth revisiting, so I'm bumping this thread.

bchctybob and HEMI32 like this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Crisp Photos And Appreciated...

HEMI32 likes this.
  25. 34Larry

34Larry

What a treat for the eyes and soul on a Friday morning. Thanks 32 Hemi. Pictures more precious than gold.:D:):D

HEMI32 and bchctybob like this.
  26. And this deserves a non-traditional bump...awesome photos, Todd. I wish we had a HAMB-like site that focused on, say, 1965 to 1979. The DogFight, et al, sites are all over the place, and it would be nice to be able to take these era-specific memories off the HAMB, but still give us late-'60s-to-late-'70s lovers a place to play. I started getting car mags in the late '60s, so this is what I learned on.

HEMI32 and bchrismer like this.
  27. Lil32

Lil32

thanks
    bought back memories of a great run
    we spoke at a recent LARS
    IMG_0636.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never chimed in on this outstanding thread, maybe because it felt redundant after gushing on your other superb Andy's Picnic threads. I probably speak for a lot of Boomers when I say I can't get enough of these "back in the day" pics, especially ones as sharp and perfect as your dad's. Thanks for not only keeping the pics on these old threads, but for sparkling them up!

HEMI32 likes this.
  29. [​IMG]
    Bill Roach's '26-'27 T Roadster

I REALLY dig Bill Roach's T Roadster. Very cool!

Lil 32, Jim Bouchard, Dooley and 2 others like this.
  30. Part Timer

Part Timer

Dam, amazing pics. Thanks for posting and cleaning up. Dam! Happy I’m from the Bay Area

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.