Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration And the HAMB comes through again (long read)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronzmtrwrx, Nov 16, 2014.

1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

About three weeks ago, a good friend of mine called me one night asking advice on getting a car picked up and transported home. (He is not a car guy at all) He had taken his 80 yr old dad from home here in Mo to Michigan to visit his sisters. They came across a 40 Chevy for sale there, and for some reason his dad just had to have it. They made the deal and moved the car to his sisters house. That's about the time the fact sunk in that, hey, we now have to get this thing hauled home. Which brings us back to the opening sentence. Seems my friend had googled auto transporters on the ol internet, only to become even more undecided as to what to do. Of course most all of the replies he got were from brokers who wanted their cut in advance and no promise of when it would be picked up. I said, "DO NOT do that, but let me jump on the HAMB and see if I can help you find the right guy." I said, if a fella is worth his salt or one to avoid, you can find out there on the HAMB. I did some looking and reading feedback on the O'Dex and hooked him up with one of the vendors. I won't call his name in this post as this is not intended to be an advertisement for him. I will leave feedback for him on the O'Dex. Anyway, my buddy called me this afternoon and asked me to do him a favor and get on that website and leave some feedback for that guy, and for "that website". I thought, crap, I hope this deal didn't go south. On the contrary. He and his dad could not have been more pleased with the service they got from the HAMB vendor. Now I said all that to say this: had it not been for the HAMB, my friend and his dad might have easily been peeled by some unscrupulous cat. Bottom line is, the HAMB has the power to help folks that don't even know it exists. Long live the HAMB!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Good stuff! :)
    -P:at

3. oldolds

oldolds

With that recomendation you should say the name! I understand it was a post about the power of HAMB. But we gotta know!

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I wasn't really sure if the admins would be ok with that. I know the standard ops is to leave the feedback over on the O'Dex. I was just erring on the side of caution, so my post didn't get scrubbed.

5. I've seen lots of praise for vendors here,as well as the list.

6. Go ahead and out the vendor....its easier to get forgiveness than permission. Tim

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Ha ha, that's what an old boss of mine used to say. I'll go ahead and out the guy. Bill Squires of Bills Auto Works, out of Ohio.

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

I haven't heard "worth his salt" since I read Louis L'amour cowboy books. But this site and (most of) the people involved are indeed "worth their salt".Glad it worked out for you.

10. WOW... I just found this thread. Thank you so much for the kind words Ron. I very much enjoy what I do & meeting new people that enjoy old cars all over the country. This transport was made even more special when I found out just before arriving that it was Roberts 80 birthday. Here is a picture of his new ride! P0003602.JPG

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool old car, and cool story. and a big thumbs up Bill as Ive heard good things on here about your service before however I think I would work on a little better tag line, as I dont think I would want a comment like that on a business card or any other representation of myself or business, whether I actually felt that way or noto_O........
    reminds me of the movie, Grumpy old Men:D...sorry:(...:)

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill brought my 64 Cadillac up from Alabama for me. He picked it up at the exact time he said he would and the next day ( 825 miles ) showed up with the car within 5 minutes of the time he said he would be there. Bill is a top notch carrier.