Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And the 32 Coupe begins...Finishing another guy's dream...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

You are not the first one to say that :) When is the last time you saw a 70's rod ? I might have to dig out my old bell bottom jeans and platform shoes :eek:

The plans so far.....

- Change the dash insert and use vintage gauges. Not drilling holes on the dash.
    - Chrome column with an original banjo wheel
    - Wheels gottta go. Looking at steel wheels..... big and little bias plys. I don't think I would ever want to run those wheels.
    - Steel fenders
    - Original grill insert.
    - Add pin stripping between the two shades of green. Perhaps a black stripe. The masking job for the paint was not perfect. I assume they planned on pin stripping the car.

2. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Nice car!
    In your original post it was an 80's build, now it's a 70's build.
    The older I get, the faster I went!

3. Bull

Bull

The build style would call for a set of vintage Stewart Warners. Even the new Deluxe series they have now like I'm running in my Tudor.

The Zenith wires were the hot ticket on this era build, though I'd look for a set of vintage mags -- even new ETs, perhaps with cheater slicks out back.

For the striping, just use the green color that the frame and components are already striped in.

4. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I can dig the green, but them wheels and that interior have got to goooooooo.:eek::eek::eek:

5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I wish I knew more about the history of the build. I would have to guess late 70's early 80s.......I do know when I get it on the road I will get some comments like 'why did he build it like that' for those too young to remember the cars of those forgettable years...

6. The build looks like an early 70's. Not a bad look as resto rod was the theme with stock type paint, wire wheels and a restrained look. Lots of shiney black, dark blue or maroon paint. Crushed velvet upholstery and wilder colors came in the later 70's and 80's.

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

If your going to paint the fenders something other than black, remember the side of the frame from the revel back to where the rear fenders bolt on shows, so you should paint that the same color as the fenders!

As far as wheels, I would look at a set of TTO's or something similar. A car that "high end" from the era wouldn't have had steel wheels! ;)

8. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey nice car I also love the color Good luck

9. Bull

Bull

ET Vintage V wheels in 15x4 or 5 front and 15x7 rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bull

Bull

Or AR T70:
    [​IMG]
    Or ET Classic V:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  11. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Cant see you going wrong with any of these...ET Vintage V is my favorite.

12. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I guess the Vintage V wheel it is. I like the look of them. Probably will go with the gray spokes....... probably will be the last thing I buy this spring. I need to get the fenders on the car to determine backspacing.

13. Can't go wrong with these,, HRP

[​IMG]

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely my first thought. The Zenith wheels and frame pinstriping scream "high end deuce circa 1983"! Also about the time tha Rod Action and Street Rodder both started pushing V6 power in EVERYTHING. The 4.3 would be my guess as the original intended powerplant.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awww, be different and run the Zeniths for a bit! I remember when I had my '35 as a kid in the late seventies wishing I could afford Zeniths.... Or hell, even Tru-Spokes. I do agree with the E.T. wheels if ya gotta pull the trigger and replace them.

16. titus

titus

Its already got wheels on it, run em!

17. Ruedi

Ruedi

18. Moedog07

Moedog07

What's involved in installing a T-5 from a S-10? I'm guessing it's not a "bolt in swap". Seems like the Camaro T-5 had a slant to it (?) I have two 4-speed cars...

19. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

It's a bolt in swap other then the tranny mount (easy) and the clutch linkage (easy to hard). Use a standard SBC bell housing, flywheel, clutch, etc.

The S-10 has the shifter far forward, needed in a coupe like this. The camaro does have a slant with a tilted shifter which is further back.

Ideally one should run a WC (World Class) Camaro tranny with a s-10 tail shaft with a mechanical speedo. They can be bought in that configuration rebuilt for about $1300.

20. Where can I find one of those?

21. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I was looking through the Andy Southard book "Hot Rods & Customs of the 1970's" and there is a 32 roadster pictured in there that is a twin to your coupe. It looks to be the same 2 colors of green in the same pattern with the black frame/fenders, what looks to be the same color interior, same wheels, even the same color striping! It lists the darker green as a 72 GMC truck color. It was owned by a guy named Les Owen from California. It says it was also featured in the May 1976 issue of Street Rodder.
    I tried to scan the picture to post it, but the book wouldn't fit in my scaner. Maybe someone can scan the pic from the book, or has the magazine that they can scan.

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Cool .... It would be nice to see the photo. I don't have the book or magazine.

24. chichav8

chichav8
    from argentina

hello to all enthusiast of all kinds of hot rod. I am new to this forum, I'm from Argentina not handled well as this forum but I will try to communicate with you on the other side. Groin not much, I use a translator.,
    I tell them that I'm plowing a ford a 1930-1931 classic hot rod but I have little infor, I'm producing a 1932 Ford chassis ah hand and say I want to see him. I would like your opinions.
    and salutes from miguel de Argentina hugs for everyone ........... the HOT ROD!!!!!!

25. Bull

Bull

Doug, remind me and I'll bring the book for you to look at.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just dug that issue up. I'm not sure that car really has anything to do with this one, but it is similar. The green colors are a bit deeper, the stripe color is moreof a gold. 'course that could be '70s color reproduction too. It also features a complete XKE suspension front and rear that this car doesn't. Gotta be the earliest use of Zenith wires I remember seeing though. Thing to remember is, back in seventies we ALL read the mags. There wasn't any other outlet to us, and I remember a friend walking into a paint shop with a copy of Street Rodder and show a yellow forty coupe aticle and saying "make mine this color". So it was kinda common to see the same color scheme used a few times over. More so than today, at least.

Lets see if my scanner was happy tonight...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  27. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I would run the wheels before I would run a V-6. They have plenty of power and reliability
    but hot rods aren't supposed to sound like UPS truck

28. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Thanks for posting the photos ! I will have to run the wheels to start with. I am starting to like the look now that I am cranking on it. Not what I envisioned for a deuce if I were ever lucky enough to own one ....but it is what it is and I am sure I'll drive the piss out of it.

29. titus

titus

this post is way to text heavy, lets see some progress pic!!

30. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Photos coming soon.....

Got the sbc, T5, shifter, and column mounted. On to the clutch/brake pedal.