Register now to get rid of these ads!

And a build continues

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by canadianal, Jul 14, 2012.

1. injected27

injected27

On the delco alternator I get a plug that is available at the parts store. The larger wire I put a eyelet on and run it to the Hot post on the back. The smaller wire has to be on a switch. You will have to relay the main feed wire so it does not have power on it when the main disconnect is off. This is so the alt will not be feeding the distrbutor in case of a emergency.

2. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

nexx we have 100LL right at the airport we race at, cannot direct fill but thats what gas cans are for. i have been told to run av gas a bit rich so might give it a shot.
    jeff 21 no e85 that i know of is saskatchewan.
    Injected 27 that is excacly how i run the 27 t bucket with a off switch. but was going to try to use a relay to isolate the small wire

3. injected27

injected27

It want do any good to isolate the small wire. It is a exciter wire once the alternator is excited it will charge until it stops spining. I just relay the main hot wire and have the switch leg on the relay on the hot side of the master diconnect seems to work good. The small wire still has to be on a switch leg but it draws very low amps to be on a relay in my opinion.

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

There are also kill switches made with a second, dedicated circuit for the coil/points lead.
    Summit, etc, have'em, but I like Brillman.

5. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

picked up and ordered a few parts for the car, fuel pump, harmonic balancer, head stud kit,lifters,oil filter bypass(need it up here) assorted grade 8 nuts and bolts.
    made up a nice engine primer out of the old dist i got with the doner engine.
    and a reasonably priced one wire alternator (industrial) solved that problem.
    now sit and wait for stuff to show up

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. av 100ll weighs less than pump gas so you have to jet up when they stopped making good gas we ran high test av gas until the airport stopped selling it to us had to buy race gas
    which is now at $100 for a 5gallon pail, now use methanol at $82for 45gallon drum.
    the best unleaded race gas i've found is Pro Fuel out of Ontario

7. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Well cut the crossmember off today along with a couple tabs(didnt really like doing it) it will be kept and possibly used in the future as may use it as a additional front engine mount support to the boat mount tabs in the front of the engine.
    also drilled the pressure plate to fit with the 1/2 bolts and the 3 dowels turned out good had to clean off the old autodrill.its old but drills really well , just dont get caught up in it cause it will eat you

Attached Files:

8. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

My dad was around this weekend and helped me move some heavy stuff got a little bit done just for some background i was hurt pretty bad in a motorcycle accident on June 2nd was in ICU for a week smashed up my chest and broke my collar bone cant lift much more and 5 pounds right now as ribs still really sore . if it wasnt for the wife and kids helping me move thngs id never get anything done.
    a themostat housing with a copling to match the little aluminum rad I have and started on the headers.
    dont look too close at the welds i have a lot of grinding to do, the will look just fine once i wrap them with black heat wrap i could not get the header tubes to weld good. too much heat blow through too little gobby , I got them welded up on the head took them off and today did a little grinding and touchup on some parts and they came together about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Should have left them on the head.
    I will have to get inventive to get the front flange back where it was. patience patience

Attached Files:

9. Old28

Old28

All looks good Al, take it easy and don't push the recovery time.;)

Sounds like you got a great family to get you through this recovery and build. Always said "Family that races together, stays together":)

Did you get the motor/chassis setup figured out? PM me if you want.

10. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Got a few more things done , the header is finished and looks real good here are a couple pics one before and after heat paint

Attached Files:

11. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

got the rad and fuel tank mocked up along with motor mounts

Attached Files:

12. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

got a really big trans cooler and fan set up may be ugly but am thinking of trans brake in the furture. It would be good to be able to cool the trans a lot. mounting on the rt side of the frame where there is nothing to get in the way

Attached Files:

13. Old28

Old28

Ya Al, nice to see you back on the thread. Motor looks nice moved forward. How far is the motor/trans holes from the firewall?
    What did you end up with for pan to ground Clarence?

14. Old28

Old28

This is all the cooler I needed on the 500" injected BBC (850 HP) with a powerglide and a 5500 converter with a trans brake used on every pass. It is one pass flat style 12" x 5". Jegs or Summit. Sent PM.

Attached Files:

15. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Yeah I am still on the fencere the trans cooler is pretty big still like the idea of having it on that side . may look at a smaller one with a fan. I I also saw one on a small rail at our last races. He went up to a three quarter inch line and went down the frame rail about 4 feet and then made a 180 and went right back to the inlet . I think the slowing of the oil and the amount of oil in the big tube would let it lose heat . kind of like one of those frame rail coolers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  16. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Sorry old28 diddnt read everything the engine is about 4 inches from the firewall and i have 3 to 1/2 clearance on the oilpan.

17. injected27

injected27

I personally always ran mine in the front of the radiator and let the one fan do the work. I will say this that trans oil get pretty hot so working on the plugs and wires might be a little rough. Car looks good.

18. Old28

Old28

Ya with 3 1/2" pan Clarence you should be OK, I see some FM dragsters out this way with 2 - 2 1/2". Check out the PM I sent you back.

I think you are worrying about trans fluid heat that you will not have making 1 pass an hour and the short drive to & from.;)

I almost wish I had pushed my motor out 4" to make those trans bolts easier to get to. Would have made it easier to form the trans floor cover also.:D

Keep up the good work.

19. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

A Pass an hour Heck We hot lap sometimes after the eliminations are over and also in between or if you are knocked out. right off in the morning its a free for all once the timing syst is going to get more runs in. I think I have had up to 12 passes in a day and still help at the track

Our return lane is over a 1/2 mile, Were on a old wwII airport runway syst you can heat a tranny pretty easily.
    I might still keep the big cooler and put it in between the front rails just ahead of the fuel tank. Overkill on trans cooling isnt a bad thing.
    The trans has also a big alum deep pan

20. injected27

injected27

B&M makes a transmission consistency sytem wich is no more than a big heat exchanger. They are pricey but work great. I have one for my super comp car. I like the idea of it up front. You know what you need better than I do. I think your on the right track anyways. Heat is a killer on a auto trans this is a well known fact.

21. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Old 28 whats the braided line and bung fitting on the front of your car for??

22. Old28

Old28

Al, thats a #6 line for one side of the trans cooler in the picture. I ran #6 both ways from my PG to cooler and back to the trans. Used AN fitting on both the cooler & trans.;)

I take every thing back I said in the PM, If you make 12 - 15 runs a day and have a 1/2 mile return road you may need a big trans cooler unit. You may need a bigger fuel tank.:eek:

23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sounds like the show at Barona's "Antique Nat's"
    Really wish WE had a 1/4 mi. meet that was run that way. (insert slavering icon here) :cool:

24. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Hey and thats 40.00 bucks per race day 30.00 for the club members ;)

25. Old28

Old28

12 - 15 runs per day @ $30, got to be the best deal going;):D

Don't let "NHRA" get involved or that deal is down the drain:rolleyes:

Al we all look forward to seeing the video from your local club races when your ride is done.:):)

26. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

The provincial phone/cable company is going to film our last Saturday they are even setting up a overhead camera at 1/2 track I will have neither of my rides going so i will be helping out.
    Heres my other ride they will be close in a heads up i think

Attached Files:

27. Old28

Old28

Whats the roadster got in it? Whats it run in the 1/4 :confused:

Will you be able to post some of the race on You-Tube or on this site :confused:

When is the Saturday Race :confused:

28. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

472 caddy best of 12.3 in the 1/4 I built it from scratch used a nova front front end. cut the model t body in half and widended it about a foot and stretched it about the same(Pre tig welder) .
    stock 400tranny and 10 bolt with a spool and retainers . It should be faster, i was tuning it the day before( with good success and destroyed the tranny) i crashed my bike. parked it in the garage and hasn't moved since .

I dont know if i can post some but will try I dont get the channels as i live in the country

our last race day up here is Sept 8 and 9th

29. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

trans cooler pkg all mounted and painted turned out good will have to put a screen over the fan to keep rocks out as think they would get in there and make problems, got the fueltank and rad mount all finished. It can be removed as a unit so easy to remove if engine needs to come out. Now to change the trans mount as i have decided to mover the motor ahead a bit to give alittle more room and easy access to the trans bolts
    Am going to get some 3/8 steel line tomorrow as am going to build hard fuel lines and trans lines a little tougher but will look good in the long run. Am going to ty to get it all together with less than 12 inches of rubber line in protest of the NHRA no hose clamp on approved lines rule.

does anyone have any pics of home built fuel line clips/mounts to give me some ideas on how to get them against the frame neatly

30. Old28

Old28

All sounds interesting, but we need pictures;);)

Are you going to run a mechanical fuel pump with a 600 CFM carb?

Al, if you can take a closeup of the 4" clearance at the firewall.