Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical An unsightly discharge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Nov 15, 2019.

1. I have been getting this black discharge from my exhaust.
    It appears to be waterborne, it's not coolant.
    I am assuming that I am getting some water condensation in the exhaust ( flathead with wrapped headers) after I shut it down, and then on start up it gets blown out.
    Couple questions:
    Is this fairly normal?
    And
    Would a strategically placed weep hole in the exhaust stop it from happening?
    Thanks for the input.
    Chappy
    20191115_141924.jpg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little bit of carbon in the tubes, add a little condensation and you get a little spittle out the tailpipes. I used to back my 442 into the garage cause it look cool but now I get to re-paint the back wall of the garage because those flared pipe exits in my rear bumper are like 2 blunderbuss and they "painted" spittle all over the wall.

3. Just condensation. HRP

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

My daily has a small hole on the back face of the muffler, just below the outlet. Possibly just for that reason.

Stogy, tractorguy and Boneyard51 like this.

5. CME1

CME1

I have had several old Ford cars with flat head engines and all of them , after sitting, they all would build up carbon in the exhaust and a little condensation and then out the tail pipes the black stuff would come! It just seemed normal to me.

UNCLECHET and Stogy like this.
  6. It's not just condensation. The internal combustion process creates moisture as the pistons squeeze the molecules of air and fuel some moisture escapes. Most gets burned off, but some exits with the exhaust picking up carbon on the way. Yes, a weep hole in the muffler(s) should help if there isn't one and it might even prolong the life of said muffler.:)

hotrodjack33, mad mikey, clem and 6 others like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is condensation that happens during the first few moments AFTER you start the engine, not after you shut it down. The moisture in the warm exhaust gas condenses on the cool exhaust pipes, picks up some black carbon, and gets blown out the pipes. You know, just like moisture in the warm air of the shop condenses on your cold beer can.

Just another reason those of us in the colder winter climates shouldn't start your car and let it run for a few minutes every week, or whatever interval you think they need to be run. All you end up with is water sitting in the exhaust system, and maybe also in the engine if you don't warm it completely. Better to properly prepare them for winter storage and just leave them sit until hot rod season returns.

8. williebill

williebill

This IS one of the worst thread titles.
    Flashbacks to trips to the health department in the 70s...…..
    For you youngsters, shit couldn't kill you back then.. You might wish you were dead, though.

9. Yep, it looks like two shotgun blasts inside my shop door where the son's pickup spewed with the door shut.

Just Gary, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. spanners

spanners

Just wait till your mother is in her pure white work uniform and you're giving her a lift to work. As she walks past the rear of the car you give it a rev to impress her with the cool sounding exhaust note. Happened 45 years ago and I still get reminded of it.

Bugguts, chevy57dude, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

An interesting title, but here I am! Spittle, snot, pretty much the same. Maybe tears of joy, my human still Loves me!

hotrodjack33, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. Great title. I was here for HAMB S.T.D. advice.

"Rub it with brake fluid. Burn it with gasoline. Run a wire gun brush thru it."

Just say no.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have a pair of Ford Crown Vic cop car mufflers on my heap, courtesy of my mechanic for the county pal. They have little holes in the bottom. Exhaust actually came out of those holes, seemed odd, so I put sheet metal screws in. Guess I'll take them out..

Stogy, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

15. squirrel

squirrel

That's a really neat explanation :)

But seriously, when you burn a hydrocarbon (a molecule composed of Hydrogen and Carbon), you get several combustion products, as the hydrocarbon is split up and combined with the air (mostly Nitrogen N2 with some Oxygen O2) molecules. The main products are N2, CO2 (carbon dioxide) and H2O (water), with small amounts of CO, unburned HC, and NOx, along with some other stuff.

So the source of the "condensation" is actually the burning of gasoline in air, to form water, and while the exhaust system is still cold, this water (which is steam as it exits the engine) will turn into water drops.

The black stuff is that HC that made it through with out burning completely. Think of it as charcoal powder.

So yeah, it's all perfectly normal.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Calling doctor squirrel...

Doctor squirrel, please come to the emergency room...

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. All that fancy science talk has my head spinning and I would never doubt the veracity of my betters, namely Ebb, Don and Jim, so no argument here. :confused:
    I'd just like to add that the H2O, whether from the exhaust flow or from the ambient atmosphere, is in suspension, in its gaseous state, not yet in a liquid state, so it won't puddle or splatter when the car is running at warmed up temp. It's only when the engine is off and all is still that the imbalance of the cooler temps outside the exhaust chilling the metal versus the warmer temps inside the pipe to trigger the change to a liquid state. Also when this happens, as the gaseous water is spent condensing in the pipe(s), more humidity can be drawn in from the ambient humidity present outside the pipe and add to the liquid crud stockpile. This is why you get greater amounts of black splatter on high humidity days and locations of the country. (I agree with Ebb, too.)
    The only cure is a comfortably heated or hermetically sealed garage.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I park my cars in a comfortable temperature garage, and they sputter black liquid stuff.

Burning gasoline makes steam (water vapor) and carbon dioxide. The water vapor hits the cold exhaust system, and condenses. It has nothing to do with water vapor in the atmosphere.

olscrounger, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well since we're getting all sciency here, water vapour is indeed in its gaseous state. However it is not in suspension. I suppose fog would be an example of water in suspension.

deathrowdave, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Dr is needed......and a shot cleared mine up

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@williebill no joke. I could share a story about a doctor I went to who's daughter was, uhh, the source of my issue. Back then it wasn't unusual for the healthcare community to ask who you may have had "contact" with in order to keep the spread of stuff to a minimum.

I didn't know her father was a doctor.....

22. loudbang

loudbang

AND it's not removable from skin. Was working underneath my OT cobrajet and close to my knee whacked the somewhat ragged edged exhaust outlet. I didn't think anything about it until I went inside later to clean up. After my shower noticed the approx 1 inch long cut/scrape near my knee was BLACK like a tattoo.

It's now 50 years later and faded just a bit but still noticeable, have had a few ladies ask me why I had a black stripe tattooed on my leg :)

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ebbsspeed and loudbang...
    Laughing so hard.
    Hahaha hahaha
    Shit... LOL

Everybody have a good Sunday.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. As usual Jim has a great explanation. I was typing something up when he posted, couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

55styleliner and loudbang like this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the old cars do it. A little choke, a little cooler day, add some gas and spark and she starts "getting wet and ready";) I don't care how well tuned the car is, but minus things like light off cats and full on catalytic convertors you get the true old school effects. The only danger of this if we wanna call it that is if you make a habit of brief cool condition short run times. The moisture coupled with the acids and soot from combustion will rot all but stainless systems. Best to run long enough to heat up the exhaust system and let the water evaporate after a shut down, and even with a stainless gig because otherwise she pukes it out and makes a mess. Depending on the conditions you might need up to 10 min run time. I could use at least that long this time of year in the Motor State.

loudbang likes this.
  26. v8flat44

v8flat44

RE: all the old cars do it. My 8BA never left "deposits" on the drive, but had soot on the exhaust extensions untill it started using more oil than normal. Passenger side was the worst, so pulled the head & found it was time for the high buck rebuild. $$$$$

loudbang likes this.
  27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have a friend who is convinced that it is caused by coolant leaks.
    I should tell him that penicillin will clear it right up.

Jet96, alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

If there's antifreeze in the cooling system, you'll generally see white smoke from the tailpipe.

Cold weather makes the steam more obvious, too.

But there is still the very basic fact that water vapor is what you get when you burn gasoline.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. 392

30. 55styleliner

55styleliner

As explained earlier, water is a byproduct of combusting fossil fuels. New cars with more efficient engines spit a lot more water out of the exhaust on initial start up, it’s clean though. I have 2 black spots on my driveway where I started my ‘36 with a 350 in it yesterday.

watch the water pour out of the tailpipe of this F-150 about 5:40 in the video