Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects An inexpensive and quick build, right!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 Vick, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a point where you have to decide if that is pure hot rod or pure art in metal. That video should be fun to see.

2. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

This is very nicely done. And I'm hoping some day to see more of your wonderful '36 project. Maybe you needed some time away from it.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked in the telecom industry in the early 70's as a CO installer, and laced tens of thousands of feet of cable in horizontal ladder and vertical relay racks. Below is a photo of how to do a basic lacing job, and also a link to waxed lacing cord.

Lacing cord here:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=waxed+lacing+cord

How to lace here:
    Lacing.jpg

AmishMike, mctim64, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  4. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

NICE BUILD KERMAN BOY HAVE FUN AT BONNEVILLE

5. 6sally6

6sally6

You a welder?!! Nice work regardless..........very nice!
    Wimmen have a way of making us guys do what ever they say........'specially if its your own princess!!
    6sally6

6. Hope to see you at Bonneville.

7. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

I sure will. Give me a couple days, prepping and shaking down for Bonneville

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Guess I should have read more of the post. Someone posted an illustration

mctim64 likes this.
  9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Thanks for the great pictures. I like the way you installed the headlight brackets to the F-1 shock mounts. I was thinking of mounting my headlight bar to them and now this gives me other ideas.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 36,
    Nice build and great work. Your motor looks very 60ish...similar to what we first built for our 40 Willys Coupe in 1960. Those 6 carbs are a little difficult to adjust, but once done, they gave us lots of power and tremendous sound.

So, take a video with a digital camera or if you don't have one I suppose a quality phone video will do. Once recorded and saved to your computer or laptop, it is ready to post. First, create a You Tube page for yourself. Real name, fake name, catchy name, all are appropriate. Then once loaded and ready, there is a movie tab that is for uploading a video to your You Tube page.
    upload_2018-8-4_9-10-55.png
    red square is the upload movie tab

Click on that upload tab and find your saved video. The longer the video, the longer the upload takes. But if you don't like what you see when finished, you can always delete it and start over. This allows you to go back to your files to edit the film to make a finished copy. What you post is what everyone sees. Use your movie editor program to make a finished copy. It will look good to all of us.

Jnaki
    Save in as high quality as possible on your computer. Once on your You Tube channel, copy the secure link and paste it on the HAMB post of your build. Sometimes, HAMB immediately shows the large film page, other times, it lists the link. When you hit "post reply", then the big You Tube screen pops up.

If you get the You Tube channel on your smart TV or devices, you can watch it anywhere. PM me if you need any other help ideas.

11. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Man
    Just like the TV shows. Leaving for Bonneville in less the 24 hrs, still got work to do

I really hope the timing isn’t off 180, like they always seem to be on TV. ;)[​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

13. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Beautiful work there 36 Vick . I really like it. What color are you planning on painting it ? The same color of the engine? Well have good and safe trip. And keep us updated please . Beautiful 23 . Bob.

14. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Color yet to be determined. I’m using stainless and chrome on the suspension components, which leads to more of a 60’s build. The engine is ground and painted smooth ( although to be changed when painted)

If the 9 yr old wants to get more involved, he wants white. So, white body and frame. Chrome suspension and a light blue with lots of pearl for the drive train. That is a very likely combination.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

16. belair

belair

I like it. You do good work.

17. Patiently waiting for pictures....

18. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

I failed guys. Pulling out of Reno this evening, headed to Wendover. Something made me look back at the rear end, suspension, etc. and I noticed s small crack atop the radius rod, in front of the bolt hole location

Pulled into a parking lot. And, on the other side, exact same crack in the same spot

I had a friend fly in from Seattle who was making the run to Bonneville with me. I can’t risk it

I’ll post picks of the cracks. I’m very bummed

Stogy likes this.
  19. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great build perfect welds & love wire looms. Obvious lots of experience. Surprised u used hairpins & tube axle but steering looks like good setup. I love & follow post “cowl steering—just stop” tons of great info on front suspension also like post on “unsprung weight issues- - -“. Watching for more.

Stogy likes this.
  21. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Stogy likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Likely some one near were your at has a welder?

23. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great closeup of crack but not sure where: old Ford end of radius rod that bolts on rear? Top bolt or bottom? Hard to believe you beat on it that hard to cause crack. Is there a bind? Hard to believe that either. Defect in old metal.

24. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

So, pictures are not posting here from the beach of South Lake Tahoe

The crack is just in front of the mounting hole of the rear radius rod to the rear end

My theory is that, the added weight of a passenger ( mind you I had some rear leafs out to soften the ride), lowered the car. And thus the extra load on the rear leafs, causing the rear end to torque up and twist, put added stress on the radius rod at that point.

I did not triangulate the radius rod or incorporate an upper link, so they solely took the load.

Not a problem to fix and resolve. I just maybe should have had more then 180 miles on a new build, before I journeyed 1800 miles or so

This gentleman is was hot rodding and learning is about

Stogy likes this.
  25. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Hmmm, cruising the H.A.M.B. this evening, realized I haven’t put any current pics of the car

Here ya go. Plans for paint will come this winter. Enjoying the heck out of this car.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]89a839708f14e67fdbca82ec8701d2c6.jpg[/IMG]17f7766526dd8cdab998d282096bb241.jpg[/IMG]

chryslerfan55, patmanta and Stogy like this.
  27. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very clever build, you wascally wabbit. I love it. Gary

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I love this car!

What did you do to the body to get that finish?

chryslerfan55 likes this.