Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects An Exercise in Practicality - 1939 Ford Early Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RainierHooker, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That's good stuff right there! My '39 Coupe has a 327 out of a '64 'vette that was transplanted in the late 60's. It's got a Muncie M-21 with a good ol' Hurst Competition Plus shifter and a '57 Chevy rear end. Works real well and is reliable as an anvil!

2. gonzo

gonzo

I haven't got the dough to rebuild another Olds motor right now so I'm getting ready to do the same thing on a 40 Ford Sedan I've got. You didn't run into any issues with the firewall?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

39 ready to start I.F.S. project.jpg
    The firewall does not have clearance issues. Again, I did not do the conversion... the firewall looks pretty stock from what I can tell, without a "stocker" to compare with. The "points style" distributor is real close, but doesn't come into contact with the firewall.

4. gonzo

gonzo

Cool car but I was more curious if the firewall interferes with a 283 mated to a stock 3 speed with an old Cragar style adapter. Since you're running a 327 with a four speed the motor could be moved around a bit. Looks like it fit in with no issues from a few posts back. Should've read more carefully. Still bitchin car.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and GreenMonster48 like this.
  5. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Thanks... the 327 is in with a Hurst mount. Somewhere along the line the X-member was highly modified, but that shouldn't affect the engine placement with the Hurst mount.