Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Racing Mags and Disc Brake Conversion Caliper Clearence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigdaddylove, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Hi,

I am looking to put a disc brake conversion on my 1953 FORD F100. My front rims are 15x5 (I think), 5x5.5 American Racing mags. Has anyone done this with this particular combo? Will I need to grind the caliper?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    BDL

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You'll need to identify what model American mags you have or post a picture.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know what caliper you are using. On my Lark, which takes 5 X 4.5 Ford type wheels I used Chevell calipers and Torino roters with a Turner kit and new D spoke 15 inch Americans and had lots of room.

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I have disk Brakes on this with 14in wheels its closeee but no grinding

Attached Files:

5. Rich is right. The "D" on the Torque Thrust D wheels stands for disc brake application. They were created for the first Corvettes that came with disc brakes. The slight curve in the spokes gives plenty of clearence for calipers. Grinding on calipers is never a good idea.

6. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

The disc brake conversion will be from Mid-Fifties (which I think is a CPP). I'll call them tomorrow to get the sizes and makes of the components. Hopefully that will help make a more informed decision.

Thanks,
    BDL