Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I crazy? Biting off too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I need some input from some more experienced guys as I am unsure on taking on a project. There is a 55 olds 4 door on craigslist that is going to the crusher tomorrow and he wants $350 with a title. It has no motor, no rear, no trans, interior is shot but from the pictures he posted body does not look to bad.

I am a guy who would rent a one car garage space and has hand tools and a few basic power tools like drill, grinder, etc. I have never taken on a project like this and besides more of basic repairs and kept a few 60s cars at drivers not a whole lot of expierence. I could drop maybe $400 a month in parts for the car and would have to get some help on the more complex parts.

Also on my plate is my daily driver f100 that needs some work done to it asap and just getting started on. Like rebuild suspension, brakes, cosmetics.

Am I crazy for thinking of buying this car? I am not a huge olds fan but its such a cool car and I dont want to see it get crushed.

2. Labold

Labold

Yes you are crazy but it has nothing to do with this car.

All jokes aside, I wouldn't jump into it for a bunch of reasons. Not having the space at the moment hurts but mainly, it sounds like it needs basically everything and will be a full build. That's a bunch of $$$ and time. If you're in it for the long drawn out haul, you really need to ask yourself if this is your dream car.
    I do agree it would be cool to save it from the crusher and has some neat features, but I don't think it is quite the car you want to sink that much dough into.
    I'd wait.

3. abone1930

abone1930

If you really want it buy it. Thats about Top dollar for that car. As far as old cars crushed that happens everyday. If it was a 2dr I would, pass on the mor door.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It still has that much in parts on it. It would be a shame to crush it. Would I build it? Nope, but just the same, I'd hate to see what is still left get crushed.

5. At that kind of price you may be able to part it out if nothing else. HRP

6. Save it from the crusher!!!! It's only 350 bucks and if you don't end up doing anything with it just flip it for what you paid for it.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Buy it for the $350 haul it home,put it for sale for $550 and put the money in the daily driver.

8. Squablow

Squablow

I had a nicer, more complete '56 that I couldn't get $500 for, I ended up parting it out for a lot more. This one has the dash stripped out, no steering wheel, no side trim, no tail lights.

I think you'd be foolish to spend $350 on this with the idea of fixing it up. But if you're really in a saving mood, go over there with $50 and see if he'll sell you the grille bar and the headlight areas of each front fender. That's probably all that is worth saving off of it now.

9. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I would probably save the car but I am not afraid to do up a car like that, you would have to decide how devoted to the project you would be. I think I would offer him $200.

10. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys for the reality check I needed it. If it was a 2 door I would have been all over it but it looked like it would have still been a fun cruiser but with the work required and me being broke made me realize to pass. Just hurts soooo much to see old iron getting scrapped.

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Good choice. If you are broke, not a great idea to buy a car you need to dump a bunch of money into just to get it running and especially which you would have to pay for work space unless you knew a lot more about what you were doing and could part it out fast and scrap the left overs.

When you are broke, don't buy some else's junk and headaches.

12. ratt7

ratt7

I think your choice is fine, I know alot of people who have bought cars in similar condition, while still learning about the skills to re do a car like this. If you take your time and learn new things as you go along you'll see a great sense of accomplishment. That's how I got started and I am still working on my skills. Go for it !

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

It seems to me that if it's not really,really what you want you will not like putting the time and money in it.
    We can not save all the old cars out there ,pick your projects wisely and frugally and you will be successfull at this hobby.
    Best of luck.