Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Am I crazy? 32 Ford question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

I really would like to build a car I can haul my famaily around in.Would I be craxy to want to trade my 32 5 window body for a 32 4 door sedan project?Thanks for any input,Louie
    [​IMG]

2. tinmann

tinmann

Most would say you're crazy. The 5w is at or near the top of everyone's must have list. However it should net an awesome fordor in trade.... probably one that is already well on it's way to being a rod.

3. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I don't think so, you should be able to get a nice 4 dr. in trade and they make a really nice Hot Rod. There are several recent Deuce 4 dr. builds that have been posted here.

4. retromotors

retromotors

Sorta depends on whether you want it to be cool sittin' in the driveway or cool jammin' down the road with everyone aboard.

Then again, maybe the coupe would be a good excuse to get away from the crumb-snatchers for awhile!:D

5. Depends on the level of your funding. If you can afford to, I'd keep the 5W and shop for a 4door. Multiports should be much easier to find and be more economical. Build it on a chassis that, if you grew tired of the 4door, you could transplant bodies for that highly desired 5W.

Just my 46 cents worth! (still not enough to buy a cup of coffee!)

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I think that would be crazy to trade a 5w for a MoreDoor unless it was a Open 4 Door:D. I just happen to have one (1933 Pheaton) to trade as well:D . Nice coupe.

Attached Files:

7. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

THEY might think a rumble seat in the coupe would be cooler.

8. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Its all in what you want and like. I think a 4 door would be sweet if it was a 32. You could probably sell the 5w and buy a 4 door with a nice chunk left over.

9. I'd try that, keep that 5W covered or inside. The way prices are going up on those things you can probably sell it for a full college education by the time the kids are grown. ;)

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Decent 32 Fordor sedan body is 6 to 8 grand ...
    Your 5W looks to be at least twice that @ 12 grand.

If you could swap just a 5W body for a rolling, decent 4 door with all the fenders, grill shell and stuff ... that would be a fair trade in my opinion.

I like 4 door 32's ( but then ... I like all 32 Fords :) )
    There are a few here on the HAMB I really like. Hotrodprimer has a nice black 4 door sedan with a FLATTIE ... Killer car :D

[​IMG]

11. We could have done business 3 months ago.

JH

[​IMG]

12. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

I wish I could offer you a trade, but this is a keeper.

Attached Files:

13. 8flat

8flat

5yrs ago I'd think you're nuts, but after having a little baby, I'm starting to finally understand what's important in life.

If having a more-door means you'd drive it more often, and have some good quality time with the family....well it sounds like you've answered your own question. Besides, hotrodprimer's car is absolutely beautiful!

14. rick finch

rick finch

Hell, you're not crazy at all! There are some really nice 4-doors out there, if you are thinking of you're family, it seems to me it is the only way to go.

15. SteadyT

SteadyT

I think if its something that both you and your family would enjoy, then go for it. It looks like you got a nice enough roadster for a two seat ride.

16. Richard Head

Richard Head

When I was a wee lad, my dad traded a complete, but not running hot rodded 34 ford three window for a 34 chevrolet master sedan body and frame. He's a chevy guy and wanted something to haul the family in. The sedan is still sitting in the shed where he put it in the mid 70's. The other guy finished the stock restoration of the coupe last year. My mom and I have never let him forget how stupid that move was.

Dave

17. 2-TONED

2-TONED

keep it if you have room & go get a 4 door to build.
    hunt around & a 4 door will pop up reasonable.
    once that 5 window is gone its gone & replacing it will be tough.

18. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Good Luck in finding a trade ..I wanted to swap my 5W that was a runner for a Sedan but had no luck so I sold it and just bought a 32 Sedan

19. ruralrod

ruralrod

i say you're nuts.

20. Definitely. Keep the 5w and buy some other old four seater, the wife and kids won't know the difference, but you'll be kicking yourself forever.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

32 4dr sedan is a beautiful car. The lines are just perfect.
    My opinion is that for 1932, the 4 door and the Roadster are really the most striking vehicles in the lineup. Of course the sporty 3 window and the 2 dr and 5 window are more popular then the 4 door as Hot Rods...but for sheer beauty of design...the 4 doors just have that extra bit of balance or something.
    Amazing that Ford could make an inexpensive car look so formal and clean. It's just timeless....

22. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Mordoor with the top cut 3 1/2" no fenders with a Cad or an Olds with a hydro, 40 rear and tall rubber......I can see it, we could wack the top in a weekend.

23. 32Rules

32Rules

Let my real henry roadster go in 2000 and have regretted it eversince.
    Roadster had a rumlbe seat and when we all went together it was fun, however that was not most of the time. Most of the time was going ot the kids ball games, plays, musicals etc!!!. Now dont get me wrong I loved every minute of the other stuff, the point is you probably wont go as much as you might think and the years go by fast. So(and I know I will get blasted) but keep the 5 window, buy a crewcab and a trailer. The kids and wife go with you a lot more in AC, good seats and a vehicle they feel isnt going to have quirks or break down in.
    Just my opinion!!
    I have a 5 window now and usually only my daughter likes to go with me, Son has his girlfriend and the wife would rather go shopping.

Do whater makes the most fun sense for you!!

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

( Please note: what you are about to read is a shameless plug,. Thank you)

If you want LOTS of room I know where there is a 33 Buick 4 dr. Gangster car up for grabs !,.. and it's got a ton more room than a 32 Ford.:) And,..a Big block buick with automatic trans and 9" rear already in it. :D

[​IMG]

And what it could look like done
    [​IMG]

25. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

26. roddinron

roddinron

It always amazes me when I see a family guy want to jump to a four door because of the kids. They're kids, they can easily climb in the back of a tudor. And they're safer back there, old car door latches don't work very well, and even if you switch to bear claws, they're still not as secure as a tudor.

27. mecutem

mecutem

Not crazy The thing about trades is usually one party comes out smelling like a rose and the other..........well maybe not so good. You want the better end of the deal as we all would. Fordor can be built too look real good. Not as popular as the 5 windows though.

If you are like many of us who must sell one to buy another then having both is not an option. I suggest selling your 5 window in the highest market then take part of that money and hunt for a good deal on a fordor.

I have sold several 32 bodys and project cars over the last 5 years. Sure I miss them but needed the dough. Plus the market is still strong and who knows how long that will last. I have allready seen a decline in the prices of the 32 stuff. The "buy low, sell high" doesn't work so easy anymore. For a few years any 32 ford was a good investment as the prices went up faster than the owners could keep track of. I see that beginning to change these days.

You will always be able to buy another 5 window later so just decide which one you want the most now and go for it. Steve

28. Louie, keep the wife happy, get some kind of family friendly car, but NEVER sell a Deuce. They are unobtainable now and only getting worse. If you get rid of that 5 window, you will be burdened with regret. D.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Random thoughts...tudor and fourdoor have essentially same space, confirmed by salesman's book dimensions. Tudor has some safety benefit as noted, will probably be better in investment terms as so many people hate fordoors of any sort. Tudor is sportier, Fordor more upscale and formal, surprisingly different looks. A matter of preference and convenience...
    One venal thought: '32 prices, especially coupe and roadster, have been marching upward since at least the end of WWII. If you can afford to, stand the 5W on end in the back of the garage and buy a sedan outright. It will almost certainly appreciate like crazy...result will be better than most investments can ever be, plus you retain the option of using it. I suspect that damn few people will be able to afford an original coupe by the time your kids have grown up. I sureashell could not possibly afford to replace anything in my '32 stash...it was all very hard to pay for years ago, but the value of everything has gone up MUCH faster than my income.

30. I have to agree with the earlier reply that said:

"If you can afford to, I'd keep the 5W and shop for a 4door. Multiports should be much easier to find and be more economical. Build it on a chassis that, if you grew tired of the 4door, you could transplant bodies for that highly desired 5W."

I know how much trouble I had in finding a decent 5 window body. I would have to be pretty hungry before I would sell it.