Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aluminum versus original ford radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROBERT JAM, Aug 2, 2020.

1. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Having over heating issues with a 1940 ford. It running up to the top of the heat gauge and vaporlocking. I pulled the radiator this afternoon thinking I’d get it boiled out. But now considering buying an aluminum instead. What are you thoughts. Thanks Bob

2. If your original radiator is reusable, I would boil it out . Those old Ford radiators were very good. They had to be good to cool an engine that ran its exhaust ports through the cooling water. I just had the original rad in my '40 reconditioned as well as adding new Speedway waterpumps and 160 deg. thermostats. The engine is a 3/4 race flathead. So far it is cooling very well. That being said , my other car, a model a coupe with a very warm sbc engine uses an aluminum radiator and it has worked perfectly from day 1. I use a 195 deg. thermostat in it and it stays right there. If the radiator in my '40 ever gives up I will try to recore it so that i keep the stock flavour.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. However you spell it, aluminum is not magic.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Copper/brass radiators have a greater cooling coefficient then aluminum.

5. swervyjoe

swervyjoe

The original radiator in my '41 would over heat within a dozen or so miles. I flushed it a couple times, then ran straight vinegar for a week or so. Then flushed it again, then evaporust for a few days. Stays right at 180 degrees all day after doing that.

stillrunners and Petejoe like this.
  6. I like brass/copper ones myself, how much is one for the '40? This is something you will only spend your $$ on once. I have an aluminum one in my '59, can't say anything bad about it.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Thanks for the info,

8. 2935ford

2935ford

I have had 4 aluminum rads in 4 rods I have built. All of them made in the USA and never an issue with any of them.

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've had an aluminum radiator in the Zipper for 21 years without any issues.

10. Indeed, with a aluminum radiator the next thing you will need is a electric fan and usually that don't cure the problem.

What engine is in you car Robert? HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Get the Champion aluminum rad, put a clutch fan behind it and forget it.

12. 42merc

42merc

Bob, if you go aluminum, be sure it is a four row.