Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator off drive shaft?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Jan 22, 2006.

1. modeleh

modeleh

When electric lamps were fitted to Stanley steamers, the generator was mounted under the car and was driven off the rearend.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Gotta think a little here guys.

The "rci" rating of a battery is how long a battery can deliver usefull voltage ( ie 10 volts ) in minutes before needing a charge.
    Example would be a 120 rci would supply 25amps ( plenty for most hot rods) for 120 minutes. On most of our hot rods a 60 rci would be plenty and a driveshaft alternator would work very well..
    I drove a 40 chevy for sometime back and forth to work with no alternator and just charged the battery every night at home.......

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I saw a water pump with a built in alterator once it was very cool

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it's poster earlier in this thread

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Model T Ford, and a lot of Brit motorcycles had flywheel magneto or flywheel alternators and hand crank or kick start.

6. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I am also running a magneto. A friend of mine brought this up yesterday about mounting his alt off the driveshaft. I thought it was a cool idea. I am very minimalist and want the bay as clean as possible

7. Just found this thread. I've had this idea for some time as well. Thought it up on myown but, realized others must have already done it. sure enough. I really appreciate the pictures, they help with ideas.

On magnentos, I agree they are a good way to go. Have a vertex in my veedrive boat and a Supermag in my digger.
    Now finishing up a jet boat and resuming a Tempest AWB funny car that will be used for the street and strip.

On the jet, had mounted the alt low and they did not last long getting so much water., going to switch to a mag and llike the idea of maybe mounting the alt off of the back of the motor.

On the AWB Tempest, currently having Don Zig building me another vertex mag. I want this car to be streetable but, look like a competion car- no v belts, accessories or cooling system. A magneto is a natural way to be able to cruise around in the day time and use very little battery power.

My idea for night crusing is to simply mount a 2nd battery in the trunk for reserve. If this does not work out, plan to mount an alt on the rear end housing.

Now, my next idea.... I wonder if a mag could bleed off some power to charge a battery? Going to contact my mag guy to see if something could be done.l
    A hidden alt is a great idea but, if it can be avoided, all the better.