Register now to get rid of these ads!

alternator issues i think? and anyone ever put a 1 wire GM on a ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Jun 19, 2009.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

so my car will not keep lights and lil tape deck on.. and if i throw on my air compressors it goes ok for a lil while, starts muimbling through the stereo, and dies in the end..

battery is newer, and has been working GREAT for 6 months or so

alternator has been on 3-4 weeks, and has always given me issues.. it runs hot, it squeals even though its lined up, and now it doesnt seem like its charging the system..

its a new rebuilt 160amp 1 wire ford alt from a guy on ebay several friends have used.. on a test light the 4gauge i have comin from it lights up weak... i mean weak.. and even with more gas the headlights dont really get much of any brighter or anything..

this is an alternator issue I assume, cause i cant think of anything else.. the battery takes a charge and holds up well..

anyways.. since its a 2 part question..

anyone ever put a GM 1 wire on a ford? its a 64 289

idk what the hell is going on here, but the squeeling made it impossible to drive at night (squeeled under load), and now it doesnt seem to be working much if at all..

ideas?

2. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I would just pull the alternator and take it to napa or checkers or wherever and have it tested to start with. It is probably faulty. The squealing belt issue is differenct and it could be caused by bearings seizing up on the pulley or the bushing on the other end. PITA but probably an easy fix. I have run several 1 wire GM alternators on my flathead motors and never a problem. Haven't run a Ford 1 wire yet but it shouldn't matter except that the Ford seems to be bigger and heavier.

3. Big Pete

Big Pete

generally speaking if it's a 160 amp it should be real big and heavy. You can run some tests. Start it with a battery charger connected. when it starts to squeal plug in the charger does this stop the squeal??
    symptoms are confusing. a squealing belt should mean the alternator is trying, but slipping. If you eliminate the squeal is it all better?? In theory you should be able to pull the belt, turn the key on, and spin the alternator with an air tool or something, make it charge the battery.
    can you check diodes and brush's etc??

4. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

I ran a GM 100Amp one wire on a 69 Mustang 302. Bolts on to Ford brackets and worked fine. Seems I had to drill pivot hole open a bit for larger Ford pivot bolt. No big deal. I would have the one you have tested also first! ;)

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

ive tried the belt tight, loose, and in between hahhaa, like a million ways!

it also depending on the angle sounds like there are rocks in it.. perhaps its the bearing taht is squeeling?

if it isnt the alternator idk what the hell else it could possibly be.. i have 4-5 friends with this alternator on their cars from the same guy..

it also gets hot... i think its probably the bearing..

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Is the belt worn out? They don't last long on my Fords.

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

belt is same age as the alt...

was a generator car before obviously

8. ryno

ryno

the alt should be warm i believe, but not hot.
    try to check the actual voltage at idle and at about 2,000 rpm. you may want to ask the guy that built it, at what rpm range does this excite? is it externally regulated or internally? a 80 or 100 amp should be fine with just a tape player and your comp, assuming your running 1 or 2 newer style comps, they probly only are pulling around 20 or so amps max each.

id pull that thing off and have it tested as stated eariler.

9. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

its hot.. not burn me hot, but hot..

its internally regulated..

they are Viar 450s - 45 amp pull max (for both).. and i have my idle set to 1500 to compensate, and i usually turn the comps off if im at a light

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. 61falcon

61falcon

a hot alternator means its over working, the belt squeal could be from the load the alternator is trying to put out or the belt tension or alignment is off. a slipping belt will cause an under charge condition, a bad cell in your battery or bad cables or connections will cause this also. what is the volt reading at the battery with the car idleing, get an amp probe that goes around the battery cable and see how many amps the alt is putting out. without knowing this your only guessing. it may be a defective alternator. is there a good rebuilder that can test it for you in your area. i know a good rebuilder in the cleveland area. pm me if you want their info. they do alot of one wire stuff for me and its always quality stuff.

11. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

yeah the alt gets hot even at idle. i redid the wire that came with it to 4gauge.. and everything is nice and tight..

the ebay seller is atleast messaging me, so i hope to hear good news.

i know of a great alternator guy but hes like an hour away.. the local checkers and shit is like asking geeves hahaha... but i will probably take it in and see what they say...

idk what the issue is, im gonna do more checking though.. all cables right etc.. idk?!

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I had a problem with an alt not charging on an OT vehicle. Squealing, not charging the battery. Turns out the belt pulley was too smooth, the belt couldn't get a grip on it. Roughed it up a bit and it was fine. Just a thought, if the alt checks out OK electrically.

13. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

either way with the squealing and grinding noise sure seems like a bad bearing, so this cant stay on.. thanks for the help guys..