Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator conversion ? for a 235 six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tito, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

I am about to swap the generator out on my 58 chevy wagon with a 235 for an alternator. I just need more juice (airride w/ compressor, radio, and misc. upgrades not originally on car from factory) I got a set of nice brackets from someone who had converted an alt to his 235, but I am unsure of which one to use. I was thinking one off a 2nd generation six like a 230/250/292, or can I just get one of the dime-a-dozen 65 amp one-wire sbc types? Anyone done this and know what works best?
    Thanks,
    Tito

2. 173rdherd

173rdherd

GM alternator to use would be 10SI (73-85 cars&trucks).60amp,2-wire(use DA plug),cheap,easy to find,internally regulated,charges while idling and at low cruise speeds(unlike 1-wire). all the above... just my opinion

3. flypa38

flypa38

Also make sure you get the little harness thing with a diode in it. I got mine from Speedway. Supposedly, when you switch from a gen. to an alt., the alt. produces enough juice to backfeed power and the engine will run with the ignition switch off. Not too sure how that would work (never really thought about it!) but it happened to one of my friends when he was converting a '50 Lincoln. He ended up having to remove the alt. wires while it was running if I remember right, and that's not real safe. Good luck!
    Johnny

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

Yep ,, What the last 2 said. And you should do just fine.

5. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Thanks guys.
    Tito

6. Kustomz

Kustomz