Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternative to Lizardskin??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jun 2, 2007.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'll second that emotion...I've used Lizardskin in three cars now...and would not try to shortcut it anywhere...and IF you think mixing microspheres with latex paint is going to do what Lizardskin is designed to do, then you'll get exactly what you pay for. BTW, Good luck with that...

R-

My build, with Lizardskin application on the first pages...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Anyone ask the maker for MSDS info? That will tell you a good amount about the stuff. I've even seen some companies keep the MSDS from the supplier so it tells you exactly what the stuff is. Remember the rubber battery tray coating Eastwood sells? The MSDS they send still has Plasti-Dip printed on it. . .

Ed

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

If it washes up with water....it's latex based.

4. attitude

attitude
    from indiana

I use a product called COOLCAR.. can be sprayed or brushed...I normally brush it on because i dont have to tape everything up..works GREAT..This is the stuff lizard skin was COPIED from.

5. swapmeet

swapmeet
    from Texas

For what it's worth, my buddy and I bought a latex spray gun from harbor freight today that had a 2mm orifice. $20, max psi 50. We had to add some water to the sound deadener to get it to spray.

We applied 4 coats but the drying time was killing us. Hindsight, this was due to the water. After feeling good about the coats that had been sprayed, we busted out the brushes and put down a nice thick coat. If I had to do this again, I'd brush the whole damn thing.

Sorry for bumping 4 y/o thread. Found it via google while trying to find a alternative to the gun the mfg offers.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just mixed up a batch and sprayed the inside of the Nova wagon. I did heat testing along the way. Virtually no difference whatsoever. I won't be making anymore of it.