Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Knot Sew Funny

loudbang, els and ClayMart like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. noboD

noboD

Six pages in two days for a build that hasn't been started!! I think that shows the respect for Squirrel from those of us that have followed his road trips and other builds. Go get 'em Squirrel.

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. patmanta, loudbang and Chavezk21 like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just keeping Almost Funny at the top Jim.
    If you were to hold a vote on transmission choice, I'll toss mine in the Lenco box.
    Also, buck the trend and put a Dana 60 in there.
    Should be a great project, I'm in, just don't ask me to help install the Dana.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I was planning on using a 60. You understand what's going on here!

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sorta, but the suspense is killing me so I thought I'd help speed up the process a little.
    I've told this here before.
    About 1970 (16 years old), I got to be friends with an older guy that had a 66 Plymouth Belvedere two door sedan factory 2x4 hemi, 4 speed, Dana 60, ran in SS/D.
    Did a fair amount as a helper/grunt, realized early on that I wouldn't want to be hoisting those heavy Chrysler four speeds and rearends on a regular basis.

9. dana 60s are great they just need a few simple modifications to be bullet proof with the kind of power you want to run. the stock bearing caps will flex bad or break. a upgrade to some strange engineering caps are needed. it just takes a little time with a mill to get the correct fit. replace the bolts with studs while its apart. the yokes come with either straps or u-bolts. the u-bolts are the only way to go. use the pinion nut that's on there while setting things up then use a new one for final assemble. this is very important. some light sanding on the carrier and inner side bearings so they slip on and off the carrier will save time and bearings during set up. my site has pictures showing the difference in carriers to get the right one. don't over gear. with your power level and weight I would think 4;10 or 3;91 would be enough. im not sure how much experience you have with the mopar stuff but now you have joined the go group we will give you all the secret tricks. I do have some moser axles stock b-body length im not using. they have very little use on them.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure on the gear yet either, but my wild guess is a bit milder...3.73 or possibly 3.54. I am aiming for an engine that gives up around 6500 rpm, so I can keep the valve springs mild enough to not cause valvetrain issues.

11. my truck has a 354 geared 60 and probably a 31-32 inch tall tire, 3spd auto
    cruises well down the interstate
    would make a good gear for street driving but maybe not for straight line fun
    9inch and 8 3/4 style rears sure are easy swapping gears but need lot of attention to handle the HP your throwing at it
    would a gearvenders OD set up be out of the question to suit both needs or have you considered an auto OD such as a 4l80
    anyway, looks like an awesome build coming up

Donuts & Peelouts and loudbang like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I have a 3.54 gear in the 60 in my old truck, too. I'm slightly familiar with it....and it does like having the Gear Vendors behind it, for going 75 mph. But we seldom drive that fast on drag week, usually more like 60.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

This has the makings of a great looking car. Those of you who have a December 2016 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, check out what Thom Taylor has to say about stance, and proportion of this era of funny car. When I was a lot younger, I scrapped a '66 Cuda but before I took the carcass to the dump, I carefully removed the rear window and gave it to the local wrecking yard. A good decade or so later I came across a rust-free '64 Cuda that the owner was going to fix up eventually and bought it from his widow for a song. It had a broken rear window and I bought my old rear window from the wreckers for $35. Not bad for a storage fee. The car came with an invoice for a transmission repair done 10 years earlier and according to the odometer reading, it had accumulated 0 miles from that time. Got the car going and about all I can say for it is, the transmission worked good. Couldn't develop any liking for the car so I unloaded it at a collector's auction. Now if I had the sense to stretch the nose and bring the rear wheels forward, I could have knocked that spinster schoolteacher look off the car. Looking forward to see this one come together.

14. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Sunnofabitch, well I'm subscribed to another Squirrel thread. Son, have ya ever thought of starting your own website? HA! I wish you luck.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm on board to watch things unfold. That model wasn't sold down here, we only got the poverty pack more door and wagon. I, like a lot of people, have always liked that MOPAR body style.

16. Be careful what you wish for. :confused:

http://selectric.org/index.html

:rolleyes:

17. squirrel

squirrel

I need to get a few pics of the Barracuda up on my web page, don't I?

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hey Squirrel, your always one of the ones helping me out with my off the way questions, I appreciate your patience with me so I drew you this today. Just a concept. I'm following your thread and learning.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

:) That will scare the guy in the other lane, I'd always win!

20. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Barraly Funny.

Bondo Slinger and loudbang like this.
  21. swifty

swifty

May not have been sold by the dealers but there were a few getting around in Vic back in the day. Local guy here has just finished a build on one and it's featured in the July 2017 issue of Street Machine

22. Jim....I'm in...keep me in mind for the left overs....getting a 1965 Formula S 4sp back on the road after 37 yrs or more off the road...near 20 years on a trailer....silver too....and on that trailer ! IMG_4436.JPG

23. ...And a "Formula S" to boot! :cool: With a Commando 273 as well...? :D

loudbang likes this.
  24. [​IMG]

THAT'S definitely the look for me. The added length and wheel relocate does it. Love that 65-66 body style. Can't wait to see your progress.

25. BigBlockRanger

BigBlockRanger
    from Amarillo

Clutch Flite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please please please please

26. squirrel

squirrel

Hmmm...I don't want to run a clutch, and I don't want to run a Torqueflite, so I gotta run a ClutchFlite? :) I agree it would be really really neat...but it ain't gonna happen. Sorry, James

I expect the car will sit level, or close to it...won't have the way advanced rake that the Sox & Martin car had.

I got quite a bit of the interior out of the car. I guess it's Murphy's law that the car you are going to completely cut the floor out of, has perfect floors... :( Hopefully someone can use this metal to fix another car.

before02.jpg

27. That is clean! I've told customers for years, buy the Best car you can going in so there is less labor to pay for and nothing to hunt for. Get's the job done quicker.
    The Wizzard

28. squirrel

squirrel

That's what I was thinking...I hope to not spend much time fixing sheet metal. Although I'll spend a bit of time making fiberglass replacements.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  29. There's always a good return for good take off parts. Kind of offsets the going in cost.
    The Wizzard

30. How about PLAN III? :)