Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Allen Distributor Machine circa 1940-50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Allen, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Paul Allen

Paul Allen

Hello all,
    I am volunteering at the Manitou Heritage Museum in Manitou Springs, CO. It so happens my last name is Allen, I'm an engineer, and I love old cars and old electronics. The museum here used to be a garage and when the Heritage Center purchased the building, it still had the old Allen machine in it. It would be really great if I could get it up and working again, and find a manual for it as well.

So, with that, I am looking for any and all information - manuals, parts, schematics, mfg. year, etc. - I can find for this machine. I believe I have the model ("Type" and embossed on the label in the back) correct - E316-MD, but the tiny characters are difficult to read from the age and wear on it. My cheap phone hates the lighting in here or I'd take a picture of the machine (Maybe I can upload one later from a decent camera). From what we know so far it is circa 1940-50. Some of the insulation on the wires is falling apart and it's pretty dirty inside. Looks to be lots of spare parts in the drawer.

If anyone has any leads they can give me it would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Google "Allen Distributor Machine," and you'll find some leads.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Paul Allen

Paul Allen

So far I have found nothing for any model even close to this one. Still looking though.

4. Paul Allen

Paul Allen

I actually just now found a manual on e-bay. Funny it didn't show in my previous searches (I used the same search parameters). I should receive it between Oct. 11-20. :)

alanp561 and firstinsteele like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Welcome, thanks for doing an intro, & let's see the Buick ...
    Quite a bit of Allen stuff still floating around - seems Allen doesn't have quite the "right sound" as opposed to Sun.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Does it look like this?
    allen2.jpg

Hnstray likes this.
  7. convx4

convx4

I have one that is like the picture above. It takes a signal amplifier to work with electronic distributors.

302GMC likes this.
  8. VetteFrank

VetteFrank

Hi just got this unit. Need to get both
    I just got one like this. Need new dial replacements on the left. Can and tach

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have an Allen generator test machine from the forties its cream and burgundy color cabinet.

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I want a distributor machine but can't afford what people want for them.

Used to set distributors up back in high school with the sun machine they had in auto shop.

Always loved charging the capacitors up and then tossing them to somebody. No bite until you touched both ends, which most people did when they'd catch it with one hand.

One day though... gotta have a dream !