Register now to get rid of these ads!

All this talking about fuel pumps got me to thinking......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyone ever use an intank pump in your hot rod?
    I thought about retrofitting a tank to take one. All of the aftermarket ones are so noisy. The one in my GM is quiet and pumps like a big dog. Would have to have a regulator of some sort. It is small and lightweight and has it's own vibration isolator. Too much work?

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

For what it's worth, Chevy Vega and Monza cars used an in-tank electric fuel pump that provided lower pressures for carbureted engines, so you don't need a regulator. Use one from a V8 Monza and it'll supply enough gas for a mild V8 application...but probably not enough volume for a race motor!

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just hate to hear those Holley, Carter pumps back there buzzing like crazy!!

4. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

If you want to use an intank pump do as Fat Hack suggested and use a pump designed for carb pressures. Don't use an EFI pump and try to regulate it down. Without a return line you will almost deadhead the pump at idle and could produce 100 psi or more and you wouldn't want to blow a hose off that pressure. Besides having said all that, I thought hot rods were supposed to be LOUD [​IMG]