Register now to get rid of these ads!

Algon fuel injection, and accessories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Algon

Algon

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
    kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

3. Algon

Algon

Scoob,
    I'm working on it, and planning on posting some pictures soon.

You've got to have a few shots of Algons. Wasn't the one I sold you the beltdrive for a MEL unit?

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I don't think so. The only Algon I've ever had was the MEL unit but I got it from Vintakes with that altered wheelbase 57 Ford as I recall.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Is the Algon very simular to the Hilborn in basic function and fuel control. We are working on a hiborn unit ( mechanical) for the street here at the shop. Should have a running model soon.

Let me know if we can help, we have a shop in Indy that flows all mechanical parts etc...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. KATFISH

KATFISH

Everything you ever wanted to know about Algon Injection is in
    the Rodder's Journal , Volume thirty seven

7. Ruiner

Ruiner

That issue was the beginning of my love for Algon stuff...I'd love to run a set of stacks on the Pontiac 400 in my gasser...

8. Algon

Algon

I agree that its a good article,but I don't think it covers anything near the information it could have.

It sure did drive up the prices of Algon parts though. Everytime I find a part all I get is, "did yous sees da wradders jurnals on dis stuff, its gots to be wortf lots of money, never evens heards of it before but $500 takes dis timing cover wif da little smashs in it... I guess you have to pay to play though.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have posted a picture of my 354 Chrysler powered '59 Lark before. You can't see the engine but it is Algon injected. I made my own cam drive and took it across the bay to Al and he broched the splines in it for me. Nice guy.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. SimonSez

SimonSez

Here's a couple of mine mocked up on my 327, plus a Hot Rod article with what looks like an Algon equipped SBC in a cool '34 Roadster.

This is probably as good a post as any to remind Unclescooby that he was going to look for his original Algon instructions for me sometime as well :)

Attached Files:

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Al recomended that I make the spud out of soft brass. He had a shaft with the correct splines that he had ground a curved recess in. Concave? Anyway he oiled it up and shoved it through to make the splines.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Lyndwood rail I'm restoring was/is ALGON equiped. This is the ALGON unit I'll be restoring, as you can see the fuel lines don't look anything like the originals in the hot Rod magazine feature or photos of others. Were can I get the swedged end type of hoses?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I just used what I had. Al said I should have used softer but He was able to shove his home made broach through it. It would maybe be eaiser to make some carbon or copper copys of the male spline and EDM them through a predrilled hole.

14. gmorley

gmorley
    from australia

The Algon Injector was designed as a "competition only unit".The injector unit was designed for naturally aspired engines featuring individual air inlets,each of which has it's own fuel spray nozzle,a fuel regulating valve and an engine driven fuel pump.The air control is similar to a Hilborn unit,but the system differs in some respects.
    Fuel pressure is supplied by a constant-pressure air-craft pump and can be adjusted to deliver a pressure anywhere between 5 to 16 lbs. This contrast with 30 lbs and up for the Hilborn.
    A tapered needle within the Algons regulating valve controls the flow of fuel by moving back and forth in an orifice by linkage connected to the throttle valve mechanism.As the needle is moved into the orifice the area between its sides and those of the orifice becomes pro-gressively smaller and the quantity of fuel that can flow through the valve also becomes smaller.

Moving the needle out of the orifice causes the area to become greater and allows more fuel to flow through the valve.

Additional fuel metering is done at the discharge nozzles with tapered needles that are moved in or out of their orifices by rotating the threaded cups they are attached to.Screwing the needle into its orifice reduces the amount of fuel that can pass to the cylinder. And screwing it out increases the amount of fuel to the cylinder.

This adjustment allows the Algon injectors to be tuned to obtain the desired air-fuel ratio in each of the engines cylinders. The 3 step procedure involves:
    1.Adjusting the fuel pumps delivery pressure (this must be done before any other adjustments as the pressure effects the volume pumped)
    2.The needle in the metering valve is adjusted in or out to a position that provides the best idle and part throttle performance
    3. The nozzle needles are screwed in or out of their orifices to the position that gives the best engine performance at high RPM speeds.

These adjustments make the Algon injector highly adjustable to meet an individual engines fuel supply needs.

15. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

I am running an Algon injection setup on my 455 Olds powered 51 Chevy gasser,but I have no way to post a picture.
    Gregg

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is the pump that came with my SBC Algon setup and the cam gear with the female adaptor brazed to it. The NOS pump came from a Bonnevillr racer about 10 years ago, don't know what the spacer plate is for.

Attached Files:

17. The truth in the matter is that the Algon injector, especially the early ones, had great promise and in the right tuners hands were better than Hilborn or Enderle. However, they were too complcated for the times and tempermental sons-a-itches. Most drag racers needed only some kind of idle and good wide open throttle. Screw eveything in-between. In this area the Hilborns and Enderles were just as good.

However, with cars that used the throttle to drive as in over horse powered fuelers, the Algons were incredible for those who could tune them. An example is the Champion Speed Shop fuel sbc car. Damn fastest sbc you ever saw in your life. Those guys could make the Algons roar. LOL, it really pissed Garlits off when they beat him. But,,,,they only did it once.

18. Damn,,,that is one cool VW bug.

19. Anyone have either a 348 or 409 Algon set up?

20. skunx1964

skunx1964

Algon, the canted stack one you posted for a sbc is the same one i missed on ebay, it went for $760 :(

that 327 is a beaut! ive got the magneto, just need to run across a nice injector setup :)

21. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Anyone have a shot of the Algon logo they would like to share? I know a guy looking for it to have it painted on his gasser that is Algon injected.
    Thanks

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] The ALGON on my Lyndwood looks like this one, I think I'll take it off tomorrow, and start the overhaul. Were would I go to get replacement fuel hoses? The goal is to have a perfect 1962 era restoration.

23. SimonSez

SimonSez

I don't know if the style is what you are looking for, but Hilborn do custom length hoses ...

http://www.hilborninjection.com/category.asp?ID=238

24. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Little wing. The spud can be made by a machinest,(trying to find one:rolleyes::D) use tool steel. Make shure you leave a little end play in the spud.

25. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yeah I noticed that springy part and have to say was surprised

26. Ruiner

Ruiner

Does anyone have a spud or a blueprint of one? I'm a machinist on 3rd shift, and sometimes the night gets boring...I'd take a crack at it, even if I gotta make my own tooling...hell, if I get it right I might be able to make more...

27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

This thread seems to have a lot of mechanical injection knowledge in it, so I have a couple of questions.

What kind of pressures do these systems usually see? I didn't realize they were so high until you guys were talking about special fittings on the hoses. What material are the hoses themselves made from?

It seems that most of these systems incorporate a mechanical fuel pump, but I was wondering if substituting a high pressure / high volume electric pump with a return would also work. I understand that flow and pressure increase with RPM when using a mechanical pump, and the system is designed with this concept. How does it behave when pressure and volume are static?

And of course... :rolleyes:

Have any of you run a mechanical system on the street with good results? I've often been told the secret is in the barrel valve, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to someone with a very basic understanding of how the system works. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

That would be cool

Anyone know if there is something that holds the top cover on ? ( other than the cover bolts ) did'nt wanna pop and don't wanna force it..Opened front and pulled splines and vanes as well as drive pin. wanna try ad get cylinder out,,or would soaking in diesel work? ( been sitting 60 years spins but wanna clean it all up just to be safe )

also the hole on top what is that for ??

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Great info Thanks !