Register now to get rid of these ads!

ALCON master cylinder to replace 60's Mustang...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Mar 5, 2007.

1. I just bought this 7/8" bore Alcon m/c off of Ebay (stole it actually... as I think they sell for more than $300) and was wondering if I could use it to replace the '60s single pot that I have on my coupe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150093234636

[​IMG]

My car has drums at all 4 corners ('40s juice up front and 70's GM in the back) and I'm not currently running any residual or proportioning valves and they work fine. I might have to one-pump 'em to get full pedal, but they do work if I just hit 'em once.

The only Alcon brakes I can find are discs like they use in NASCAR.
    Disc brakes take more fluid to actuate, don't they? So in my thinking, this m/c should be better than the old 'stang one I have... right...?

...and yeah... I know... it's billet.

Thanks...

JOE:cool:

2. Anyone...? Anyone...? Bueller...?

Is this is a disc brake master cylinder, and will it work on drum brakes...?

Any of you race car guys know who sells these...? If I know that, I might be able to call them and ask...? THe only other ones I saw were on Ebay too.

Again... I know it's billet... but it'll be buried under my floor and if it keeps me from splattering a deer with what I think is a pretty nice '32 Ford, I don't care what it's made out of.
    I also know the dangers of running a single cup master cylinder. I rebuild my slave cylinders on a regular basis and don't have a problem with that. I just plain don't have room for a double, given the way my clutch arm swings.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Alcon is a Brit mfg. of race parts, sorta their version of Tilton here in the U.S.A. The sporty car guys seem to favor their stuff, so you might try googling the road race suppliers to find a U.S. supplier with more info.

4. Who cares what its made from if it stops the car.

I'm going to guess that if you have drums on all four corners you should be running residual valves. Other than that I can see no reason why it shouldn't wprk, it pumps fluid and that's what you want right?

5. Yep. I was just trying to head off the impending shit storm...

Yep... that's what I want...:D

I'm wondering if there's a difference between disc and drum master cylinders. I know some double cup cylinders are for disc/drum and disc/disc, and I don't really know why. My assumption would be that one pumps more fluid. I'm worried that this may be too sensitive and might cause my brakes to want to lock up, since drum brakes take less fluid to actuate... Would that be correct...?

6. what bore is your current MC ? probabilly 1"....you will have more pedal travel

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

the bore is all that matters.

disc brake masters have a larger resevoir for the larger volume required of the caliper. that's the only difference really. you can easily put a disc master on a drum car, but going with a drum master on a disc car, you really gotta watch your fluid level.