Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ak Miller-RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Damn this lousy year. I'm running out of heros.

Ak Miller, a pioneer in just about every form of motor sports endevor passed away last Thursday. Mr Miller was a true gentleman, a giant among engine builders, a great thinker and one of the most humble and nice people that ever spent time on this sad old earth. In my search for information on alternative fuels, I was amazed how many roads led to Ak Miller. I never got to interview him on that subject and now I will have to settle for the stories second hand.

Me? I'm feeling old, vulnerable, sad and I'm going to get shitfaced.

Whatever I find to play in the CD player tonight will be sad and bluesy.

2006 HAS to be a better year. Shit…

2. Tony

Tony

Man that sucks!
    God speed Mr.Miller...............

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

The Ranks are thinning,
    So many old pioneers are passing on, but men like "Ak" have carved a nitche in Hot Rod History that will not soon be forgotten.

4. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

So sad. He is one of my favorites. He will be missed. R.I.P.:(

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Gee Phil...why do you do this to yourself?...first Carbone and now Miller... Get drunk and then get over it...I feel your pain, I'm old too...nobody leaves the planet alive...go drive your car and clear your head...

6. I'm sitting here with a strong drink. I imagine that my posts will become more and more incoherent as the night goes on. I'll be turning 60 in Febuary, so as you might imagine, my heros are in their 70s and up. So I guess I should be trying to get used to this and I should be grateful for knowing them and calling some of them friends. The really great ones kept on keeping on well into their twilight years and that is MY inspiration. When I was a kid I used to hang out with the older guys. Now I'm the older guy and I am fortunate to have made many good pals through the drags and music. This ol' HAMB has turned me on to a lot of good people who are a LOT younger than me and a hell of a lot younger than my usual heros. It is good that the torch will be passed on. You HAMBers out there, take time to seek out your heros, learn and show them that you appreciate them. If you do, I guarantee you won't regret it. Thay ain't around forever, thay get called home too soon for most of us.

Sometimes I feel like the HAMB obituary editor. It's a hat I don't want to wear. But you folks give these guys the respect they deserve, so I'll post as soon as I hear of it. Time to go refresh my drink.

Phil

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Well It's late but it's goin' on Sunday AM. I gotta cold beer here so if you want to talk...Well look at that...I just noticed my answer to you was my 1000th post...Karma?

8. Larry, I do it because I believe that more prayers and good wishes are the right prescription for Carbone. Can't hurt.

Ak was the kind of pioneer that we HAMBers admire most and some of us knew him pretty well. Might as well get ready to go and pay last respects, if we can.

Plus I'm looking down the barrells of a birthday of one of the cardinal years: 60. I've lost about 25 friends and heros this year. 30 was the last birthday that freaked me out. This one seems scary. Of course, I've started on the path to getting stinko, so tomorrow, I'll read this screed and cringe. Most likely apologize for being too mauldin.

Phil

9. 29SX276

29SX276

Ak Miller was definitely in a league by himself;a great tinkerer and innovator.Who would have done extensive tests and modifications to Ford 6 bangers back then?;I'm sure he was the first.His accomplishments are too numerous to list;he will be missed.

10. Real nice tribute to Ak on www.NHRA.com He was one of the original three founders of the NHRA. Check it out.

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I look at life like the airline's ad's...mileage gives you priviledges...your heroes taught you...now it's your turn to give back...teach the young and one day the young will speak your name with Honour as you are now...

12. Congrats. Larry. You're a Senior now. Let's harass some underclassmen.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Who you wanna start with? :D

14. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

thoughts and prayers for him being sent to The Big Man tonight...

Take care, and keep safe, guys!!!

Later...

Troy.

15. Nik

Nik

Sad news indeed.

Godspeed Mr. Miller.

Nik

16. Thumper

Thumper

Ak Miller was the original "Git-R-Done" guy. RIP Mr. Miller.:(

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hard to keep my eyes open Phil...goin' to bed...sleep well

18. G'night Larry. This may be my last readable post too.

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Naw...you're 2 hours behind me...it's only 10:15 in Cali...:D

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Larry, going by your last 5 posts, you forgot what this thread was about.

Show a little respect, man...

21. A true legend. RIP :(

22. Time means naught. The good Captain Morgan has me walkin' the plank.

But sleep well, Larry. Like I posted on your other thread, your coupe confirmed the wisdom/madness of picking black for my semi custom Olds. Our HAMB buddy low-springs has his work cut out for him getting it ready to park next your 32.

See how my mind wanders? This post is in honor of my man Ak Miller. In fact, I JUST decided to build the roadster project I'm gathering p[arts for in memory of Ak's Caballo de Herrera. RIP Ak. I sure wish you'd hung out a little longer. I could have used your input with my roadster deal.

Going into the kitchen and fix anothe Cap'n and Coke. then I'm gonna sit and pick my bass along with some music and play some mournful stuff.

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Just wanted to cheer him up. When you get our age...feel free to join us.

24. Metalshapes, you're right. This post should honor Ak. I'm a drinking 'cause I'm sad, but I would NEVER be a stupid drunk in front of him. Thamks for the slap. man.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...and if you look at the time between his posts, i waited 45 minutes? for his response...thought he passed out or something...i'm still here

26. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Along with Ak Miller, we lost veteran Super Stock and Nostalgia Super Stock pioneer, Dave Duell of the "Draggin' Wagon" fame and also Pro/Nostalgia racer, Davy Johnson, "White Warrior", 63 Tempest lost his fight with cancer.

..had a "friend" give me one of the early Ak Miller turbos for my Pinto..put it on and step son immediately blew the engine ....put the stocker back in....later on we dug that turbo out and hung it on one of the little 262 Chevys in a Monza...Step son called and told me that I could come and get him ...I asked where...he said to just follow the oil slick...I finally GAVE that turbo to one of my closest enemies....

Chili was lamenting the fact that 60 has snuck up on him...well, I am 63 and pretty cars and fast wimmen still keep me young.....

..and good friends
    I just hope that I am as good of a friend to my friends as they are to me.

Mark

27. That was a cool story, Texasoutsider. Would've made ol' Ak grin. The problem wasn't Ak's windpusher, should have built a tougher engine, huh? Maybe a little less compression, seeing as how you were leaning on it.

And I look forward to getting past 60, man, and looking at life from a lofty perch like yours.

And that's right it's been a tough year. Duell and Johnson will be missed too. I didn't know those guys, but I knew who they were.

Off to the kitchen to challenge the Captain agaian. Mourning is good for the soul but hell on the liver, eh?

28. I'm going to bed. I apologize to all for being mauldin here. I dug ol' Ak a lot. Maybe the keyboard is as bad as a firearm when we drink. I might have shot myself in the foot. RIP Ak.

29. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I hate this news. I really dug Ak Miller too. This reminds me of how I felt when the Good Lord called ole "Smokey" Yunick home. Bummer. They will be missed.