Register now to get rid of these ads!

AK MILLER Image

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Oct 10, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought this image was cool enough to share so here it is. Note the IFS that he is running...what a gold chainer!:D Innovative to say the least.

[​IMG]

2. Ak was a true inovator, for sure. He loved to try things that were not in the mainstream. Some worked, some didn't, but they were always interesting. His last ride, at 80 years old, was a Ford pick up with a turboed 302 that ran on either propane, or CNG. The last time Ak came by the shop, he was grinning from ear to ear. He had just blown off a kid in a rice rocket on the freeway driving up. He died a couple months later, and I still miss visits from my old friend. RIP Akton.

Stogy likes this.
  3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's a great pic of a true pioneer. Any ideas what that front end is out of, he's still running Ford steelies?

4. Truely a great car builder and way ahead of his time. much respect.

5. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Thats 49 54 chevy suspension and I've been arguing with myself for a year now to do that on my 32 chevy coupe.Ak called fford axels dead axels.There is a photo of the same car in RJ 32 that shows it with I think a fairing over the suspension.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
    Stogy likes this.
  6. It is a Mopar suspension . they had that in 34 even. That is why the ford steelies fit boys!
    I am guessing 41 plymouth maybe
    Don

7. Pioneer and a legend

8. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Wonder why Rodders Journal calls it chevy?Page 46 issue 32.It's not 49 54 chevy, I went out and compared the photo to a chevy one in the garage.Could be two different cars?

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

And I bet they would not let you in the gate of the Pile Up with that car because it's not traditional ????

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think with an over all style the front end would look alright. I mean, is it as visually nice as a solid axle? Probably not, but if you were to pull in that exact car in no one could say shit. Of coarse there will be at least a couple dudes that will hate the idea.

Would definitely be a hard sell.

11. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Akton Møller here using the 32 on the street...he used different engines. also my favorite, the caddy flat!
    i am sorry i never met the guy!
    -palle

Attached Files:

12. banjorear

banjorear

I looked closely at that as well. I think they are Chevy steelies. Seems to me the hubcap is a little too flat and large to be a '40's era Ford cap.

Not sure either way.

13. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

That's the photo that was in RJ 32.They say early chevy ifs, it would have to predate 49.This photo is dated 1952.Any idea of the date on the first picture?

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

16. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Looks like GM/ Chevrolet to me with the shock and upper control arm integral.

17. Knowing Ak, that hat had to be for some sort of gag. He had the sharpest sense of humor of any man I've ever met. He never, ever, showed up without a new joke, or story to tell. I attended a couple of dinners where Ak was the guest speaker. Didn't matter if it was corporate officials from Ford, or his racing buddies at an SCTA banquet. Within 30 seconds of stepping to the podium, he had the crowd in stiches, and kept them that way during his whole speech.

Stogy likes this.
  18. The front suspension is Chevy. The pic came from Veda Orr's Hot Rod Pictorial.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  19. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Ak Miller appreciation thread...

[​IMG]

20. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i used to deliver parts to his shop when i was a punk 17 year old kid working at a car dealership in whittier ca,,,....i had always knew of his name,,but wish i had the balls at the time to actually talk to him about everything...:(

Stogy likes this.
  21. saltracer219

saltracer219

Yes Ak was quite a character. He always had something quite humorous to say usually in a very wise way. I used to visit with him, Ed Justus Sr. Gray Baskerville and Don Francisco along with many well known others every other year at Gale's invitational Hot Rod gathering. I consider myself very fortunate to have known these Hot Rod Icons. They all will be greatly missed. I truly treasure the visits I will have this coming year with the ones that are left...unfortunately boys, the list is getting shorter. Most of these guys are very accessable, Take the time to seek them out, meet them, enjoy them and learn from them.....

Stogy likes this.
  22. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

A friend has this car in his shop fixing the Aluminum body, Cool Special in person...

Stogy likes this.
  23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

In an interview he said he installed a chevy independant front end in that 32, and a big Buick 320 roadmaster straight 8. cleaned the clocks of many a flathead.

Stogy likes this.
  24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I really dig the looks of that front end on there! Never thought I would say that about IFS most are pretty ugly.

25. This is that car under construction. It was a hot rodder's sports car, powered by a Hilborn injected 392. A fact that may be lost to history is that the car was financed by the donations of HRM readers. Ak was always a promoter!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.