Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Airplane Shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Mar 2, 2019.

1. I have brought my 21 T Model Ford into the jet age by fitting those fancy Dan, new-fangled airplane shocks all round IMG_20190302_151638254.jpeg IMG_20190302_151612991.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Nice job Blackjack, did you fabricate the brackets or is it a kit?

Stogy likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just curious, what are they rated in comparison to automotive shocks as from here the look the same?

Stogy likes this.
  4. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

curious as well.

Stogy likes this.

5. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Just googled them, looks like the return from compression is smoother.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I may be mistaken about this specific installation, but I doubt the OP is saying these shocks are in fact from/for an airplane. The common tubular shocks that have been used for decades on autos and trucks were a design adopted from shocks first appearing on aircraft.

At the time, the typical automotive shock absorbers were lever action, like the Houdaille and Delco-Lovejoy, either as separate units or incorporated into the upper control arms.

Introduction of tubular shocks were advertised as ‘airplane shock absorbers’ to capitalize on the public perception of the advanced engineering of aircraft. For awhile thereafter, tubular shocks were often referred to as ‘aircraft type’ shocks to distinguish the style from the (at the time) more common lever style.

Stogy, town sedan, pprather and 2 others like this.
  7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Just as long as you don't fit "airplain tyres" i.e. air on the inside, plain on the outside ... :)

Stogy and mgtstumpy like this.
  8. Sorry - missed this one... As Hnstray says, it's a reference to the fact that tubular dampers were often referred to as airplane shocks and were the hot ticket back in the days of lever arm shocks - although given the number of aircraft factories and scrap yards in So Cal som hot rodders may well may well have used aviation parts. I do know of a London Underground engineer who used the dampers from the tube train doors on his T bucket.

The brackets were fabricated at both ends.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Glad you cleared that up, I too was thinking Airplane shocks would be rated for a much firmer . HRP

10. xix32

xix32

I have owned three airplanes, they didn't have shocks.

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

What's up with the panhard bar(s) with transverse springs ??

12. I believe that this is correct ^^^^^

I vaguely remember someone calling them airplane shocks when I was really little. By the time I was old enough to play cars and motorcycles on my own we were calling them tube shocks, not to be confused with tube socks.

Stogy, jimmy six and Hnstray like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

I wear airplane socks. I pull them up, but I let go they fall right back down.

Stogy likes this.
  14. LOL you have to go fast enough to get lift my friend. :D :D :D

Stogy likes this.