Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airplane paint stripper???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 22, 2004.

1. i know this stuff is pretty toxic will it start to eat through any metals if soaked too long?? i was going to use it to strip a model i have (a model car smartasses) [​IMG]

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

I've used it on both steel and cast alum with no problems.

Dennis

3. Pigiron

Pigiron

If you use that stripper on a plastic model you won't have anything left to model!

4. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

its very good shit, ive never had a problem with it. I dont think there would be any reason to let it soak for over 5-10 minutes. It just dries on and is harder to get off. If its a model id just brush it on and hose it off. Might have to be done more than once. Obviously, it might wreck any plastic windows or whatever on the model.

5. I'm no model expert but DO NOT PUT IT ON A PLASTIC MODEL!

Ge yourself a can of Easy-off Oven Cleaner. May take a few applications but it will safely strip it.

JH

6. [ QUOTE ]
    If you use that stripper on a plastic model you won't have anything left to model!

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm...yeah i kinda figured that

7. ikillspies

ikillspies
    from Minnesota

that shit ate through my buddys gloves, and the flesh on his hands. he should have read the instructions. its a stupid person that doesnt learn from his own mistakes, but its an absolute idiot that doesnt learn from someone elses.

8. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

I don't think you'll have problems; I've had a remainder left in a can before (after I was done, but it was too dirty to put back in the paint stripper can), and it basically dries itself out. The gunk that's there would still burn/sting yer hands if touched, but wouldn't eat through it, I think. Um, eat through the soaked material, not your... yeah.
    That stuff's great, its effectiveness makes up for all the preventive wear. Good luck!

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

there was a post a while back on stripping paint off models, I use caustic soda,but there were a lot of other products others use!

10. I don't know man... it's some heavy duty shit... probably not a good idea for plastic I think either. [​IMG]

11. the model is metal...actually its a 1/18 muscle machine..(dont know why i didnt say that to begin with?? [​IMG] thanks guys

12. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm no model expert but DO NOT PUT IT ON A PLASTIC MODEL!

Ge yourself a can of Easy-off Oven Cleaner. May take a few applications but it will safely strip it.

JH

[/ QUOTE ]

.......the spray kind that has nasty fumes. It is more caustic. Wear protection. Let it soak and then rinse off with warm water and use an old toothbrush to clean up the details.......

13. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

For metal models I use the orange based stripper. I'm pretty sure I bought it at Home Depot. Works like a champ. Wayno

14. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez

you no what works wicked for takin paint off of plastic models??? pine sol, yes pine sol. soak your model in a bucket of pine sol over night and in the morning its all flaked off.
    works well, i used to do it all the time when i was a kid.
    brian

15. hmmm...very interesting

16. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Damn good stripper, not much it won't move.
    Keep it away from zinc, potmetal and zincated steel.
    It eats them.
    God aluminum it won't touch, cheap stuff it can pit.

17. Haven't done it, but I've heard that brake fluid is great for taking paint off models. Does it on real cars. And safe on plastic too.