Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Airoso Brothers Willys gasser - brother Joe encounter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Aug 18, 2009.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Last Sat 8/15/09, there was a gentleman at the www.pismoderelicts.com Sat morning get together checking out the cars. After striking up a conversation, he turns out to be brother Joe. He no longer has the Willys but someone in AnnArbor Mich has built a replica. Has anyone seen the replica run or did you see the original back in the day? Old hot rodders never lose the passion:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    EVL401 and 1934coupe like this.
  2. nice willys.

3. brandon

brandon

think dom in chicago has or had it after ron in mich. surely someone on here knows more...:D

4. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Ron Malmsten sold the car to Dom, Ron Norman out of Illinois has the car now and drives the hell out of it. Has been 9.83 with room left. Not bad for a million dollar show car. He runs with the geezers, and the East coast Gassers.

[​IMG]

5. no55mad

no55mad

Thanks ftroop. From what Joe was saying Sat, he doesn't know this information - after all, his name is still on the door. Side note: there were brothers in Santa Maria Ca that used to race as F Troop (Foster bros). They had an Anglia at one time - rolled it at the finish line at a SoCal track - maybe Lions. One of the brothers still builds engines in Santa Maria.

6. Just to clarify:the name is actually AIROSO.Great to hear that he is still around.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I race with Ron in the GeezerGassers its one great looking car. I think he will be taking the car to Norwalk to race next weekend.

8. no55mad

no55mad

Thanks for the heads up - fixed it:eek:

9. RONTC

RONTC

Yes i did the tribute car with permission from Joe Airosa we met at the hot rod reunion 2005
    he was excited about the car took some photos too i am surprised he did not remember unless there was a misunderstanding here are a few photos from our visit

Attached Files:

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Joe told me about meeting you and gave you permission to do a tribute car. I think that he is glad that the car is remembered and said that he enjoyed meeting you. One of my favorite things is listening to his racing storys from the old days.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  11. rfraze

rfraze

You had the pleasure of meeting one of the nicest people on the planet and a true "Gasser Legend". He still remembers what the car turned on specific race weekends.
    I've got a few pics you might enjoy.
    008.JPG

12. rfraze

rfraze

13. rfraze

rfraze

14. rfraze

rfraze

Half Moon Bay
    AIROSO%20BROS%2040WILLYS%20BGS%20HALFMOONBAY%20MAY%2026%201963.jpg
    See more at The Half Moon Bay Bakery/Drag Racing Museum. Mark Andermahr.

15. rfraze

rfraze

16. rfraze

rfraze

Not as famous under the Airoso banner was the Multi Maverick that Joe bought from Ohio George Montgomery, shown here in a shot from Fresno Dragways. Eat more raisins.
    It looks like it has the longer wheelbase setup on this day.
    FresnoDragwaysMaverick.jpg
    This car is currently owned by Bruce Caballero from Ontario, CA.

17. rfraze

rfraze

Here is our buddy Joe Airoso standing in front of Chris Beanes' Henry J. 010.JPG This pic was taken at Bakersfield on the same year that Airoso Dairy celebrated it's 100th anniversary (with a pic of the blue Willys featured on the shirts). Check spelling on the sale sweatshirt.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  18. rfraze

rfraze

Here is Joe's Willys pickup. On his left is Bob Beezer (Canadian Indian) and other Willys nuts.
    015.JPG DSC_0749.jpg
    We just missed getting elgringo in one of these shots.

19. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for posting these pictures. There were a couple that I haven't seen.

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Love the history on this site. Great story accompanied by incredible photographs.

Thank you.

21. rfraze

rfraze

Glad to be able to pass it along. One of my early memories of Joe is having him beside me in the tower at Bakersfield during various rounds of gasser racing. Joe is soft spoken, but very knowledgable, so all I had to do was get him wound up and he would tell some great stories. I remember asking him when he saw a supercharged gasser for the first time. He immediately started talking about Bruce Kaiser's 35 or 6 Willys coupe that he saw run at Santa Maria early on. This is one of the cars that influenced this young competitive future gasser legend.
    Bruce%20Keiser1958%20%209.jpg
    What ever happened to Bruce Kaiser and this car? I always wondered if it became Pappy (Peggy?) Hart's Santy Ana racer.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  22. rfraze

rfraze

27780005.jpg Here is a shot that shows two ultra competitive nice guys who came from the Central Valley of California, had ultra competitive, beautiful race cars that beat on each other often. This could be a shot from their pairing after the long tow to Indy. Bob Panella is still actively involved in drag racing. Joe and his family is still actively involved in getting those cows milked, so you can enjoy a cold glass.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  23. rfraze

rfraze

Hey elgringo, What was the guy's name from Morrow Bay that was responsible for Airoso's early performance? He deserves credit.

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

image.jpeg
    ^^ This picture was taken at the Fuel and Gas Championships in 1961
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Joe had a 57 Ranchero for his tow vehicle and it can be seen in the background in some of the pictures.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  25. elgringo71

elgringo71

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The last three pictures look like they were taken at Indy. Most likely at the Nationals in 67. The Airoso Brothers won BB/GS there that year.

This was the final race to win his class at The Nationals at Indy in 67. He raced Billy Holt The Alabamian

image.jpeg

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

His name is Red Truitt

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. elgringo71

elgringo71

This car was called the Paladin Special after the TV show.

28. elgringo71

elgringo71

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another gasser that had an early influence on Joe was the Al Dal Porto Yellow Willys Pickup that was later bought by the Panella Brothers and became their candy apple red pickup. Al was a lakes racer and built this Pickup to go drag racing. He won the A Gas Coupe Sedan class in it at the Smokers Meet (March Meet) in it in 1959. It turned 114.94 Mph with a chevy engine.

29. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

I also met Joe at Famoso at the CHRR about 3 years ago as I was looking at his pickup , what a great guy !!! Saw him again at another reunion and he had el gringo in tow another very knowledgeable guy about the history . I see Joe at the races everytime and a week ago at the western street rod nationals where I got his stamp of approval on my truck !!! Took him for a little cruise too

Attached Files:

30. elgringo71

elgringo71

That's cool to get the thumbs up from Joe on your pickup. His opinion carrys a lot of weight with me because he was there and can tell you how it was done back in the day.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.