Register now to get rid of these ads!

aircraft tires? farm impliment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny bondo, Jan 9, 2011.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

found this picture on facebook,(the front tires) it looks like the firestone "ribbed" tires, but without the stupid squares on the sides. these are MORE like the ones seen in pictures in the 1940s lakes cars. are these aircraft tires????? tractor??? anyone have any idea? do they make them like these???? or are these just real old tires.
    [​IMG]

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

They are tractor tires

4. they do look like F2 tractor tires which are not legal for the road.

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

no those are 3 rib.

6. i realized that after i posted didn't think anyone would notice so i didn't edit, good catch!

7. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

these are kinda close i guess.

[​IMG]

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Looks down on the farm to me...
    MY $.02

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Correct, and not only illegal for the road, but for drag racing as well, local tracks banned them in the late '60, I was running some at the time and had to get new front wheels and tires.

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

a few i found on here.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. R Pope

R Pope

Implement tires, not tractor. Legal only on machinery limited to speeds under 25 MPH (tax laws) . Cultivators, loaders, harrow bars, etc. We used to run them on stock cars until they banned them.

12. I think they sell those at Tractor Supply. Seriously... Saw a pair like that a couple weeks ago.

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

so why arent they "legal" are they going to explode when going 60mph?

14. pdc

pdc

Tractor tires are pretty sporty on the road even at 20 m.p.h..

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

They don't really hook up when needed. And there isn't alot of tread contact with the pavement.

16. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

Google Gensco

17. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Quite likely if operated way beyond their load and speed rating.
    Would you put $20.00 "made in Korea" water buffalo drawn farm trailer tires on a 200 MPH Boneville car that you planned to drive yourself?
    Why not ?
    All tires are exactly the same, eh ?

Would you jump off the Empire State Building with a five dollar bungy cord , just because you liked the pretty pattern on it?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Miller Tire...But previous comments apply...

19. rick finch

rick finch

If you decide to use them, I hope I never have to share the same road with you.

20. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Definitely not a cop, in fact they once arrested me locked me up for a while.

Fun is when you do something really dangerous, and get away with it.
    Having friends that also did something really dangerous, and did not get away with it is sad.

21. Man if they are six ply. I would rather have them than a radial. just buff off the tractor lettering on the sidewalls :cool: OldWolf

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Eveybody beat it! It's the fuzz!

23. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Mate, if you have ever had a prison haircut, or stood at the foot of your bunk with your bed sheets in your hand, while the fat ugly screw did early morning roll call, you would know I am no cop.

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think that's a fair question. Johnny wants to know what exactly the limitations of those tyres are, and how exactly they'd fail if those limits are exceeded. I'd like to know too, even if those tyres aren't in the idiom of my builds. It's useful knowledge that one can use elsewhere.

25. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

The key to tire overload and failure is probably heat. Both in the materials used, and the type of construction.

At least in Australia, all tires approved for road use have both a speed rating, and a maximum load rating.

Just forgetting the legal implications for a minute, there are many tires sold for uses such as agricultural, golf buggies, and similar applications where high sustained speed, high mileage, and high heat are never a consideration.
    But for the intended use, they are perfectly safe and work just fine.

The problem arises when someone fits big fat balloon lawn tractor tires to his 2,000 Hp off road racing sports truck, and wonders why the tires fall to bits.
    Or the hot rodder that uses bicycle front tires on his blown big block T bucket, and just cannot figure out why they blew out, when he was trying to do five second quarters.

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I wonder if harmonic issues play a role; destructive oscillations etc.

I've wondered before if, within limits of absolute speed and load capacities, there is a central zone where one could hypothetically consider a speed/load combination limit (e.g. speed + load or speed x load or something more complex). I mean, if a tyre could be consistently safe at a certain amount over its rated speed if the load on it were significantly less, and vice versa. What would you say, Warpspeed?

27. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

The guy that owns that car is on the hamb, his name is hellrod666. The guys name is Mark and he's kinda a period correct nazi and knows a ton about the good old days of hot rodding. Actually both sets of tires were on that car. The set thats shown on the car were old 16" NOS farm implement tires, they were marked "Harvest King" on the sidewall...there not on the car anymore he said it made it track real poorly. The second set are 18" and were bought at a tractor and implement place, he said they drove real nice and he has his own theories on why they are ok to run on the street. He put quite a few miles on those (it was his rain or shine daily driver for over a year) without any issues. If you want to know the low down on those tires you should just pm him. JohnnyA

[​IMG]

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

awesome thank you!

29. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Tires are very complex things, and have come a long way over the last hundred years. Cars too are now heavier, faster and a lot more powerful than they once were.

I am no tire technologist, but it seems to me that heat buildup and sustained high speed flexing may eventually cause de lamination and internal failure of the internal plies of something not designed to be used much above walking speed.

High speed blowouts are quite rare these days, but that was not always the case. The sides of Freeways everywhere seem littered with chunks of tread thrown from heavy trucks where trailer retreads have separated and come apart.

What you are suggesting is probably quite sound, but the Third World origin and quality control of some of these low speed tires, still leave me rather nervous.

If anyone is still determined to do this, at least use tires manufactured in The US, Europe, or somewhere where the quality may reasonably be trusted.

If it says "not suitable for road use" on the sidewall, beware............

30. yea that was what they used back then.