Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airbags are for Accordians: Hydraulics in Traditional Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Apr 25, 2009.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

[​IMG]

So i have to admit that i'm bummed there is so much drama around here about Garage Magazine-- because i was actually keeping HAMBers in mind when i wrote the article about Andy Douglas and the history of hydraulics in the latest issue that just came out (number 18.) I traced the use back to WWII, to early use in traditional customs, to Andy Douglas taking it all and helping create the mainstream lowrider scene. I learned a lot along the way-- thanks to HAMB members Alex Gambino and Von Franco for some help on it.

Hydraulics are a big piece of traditional custom cars. Check it out and maybe you too will learn that airbags are best left for accordians.....

BTW: Based on what i learned doing this article-- the Gambino Kustoms / Noteboom Cadillac project will be lifted by WWII aircraft hydraulics. I'm an airbag convert :)

I hope the drama queens don't scream in on their tip toes and ruin the intent of this post...

-scott noteboom

[​IMG]

2. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

Andy hydraulics in San Jose, Got my setup along time ago to lift my Mazda b200 back in the day. Man that was along time ago.

3. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Yep, that Andy Douglas. Interesting because people don't realize however that hydraulics started in customs though...

- Early customs guys first started playing with hydraulics in cars. Ron Aguirre and lifting the X-Sonic Corvette back in the late 50's seemed to kick start it. We're talking back when Bill Hines moved from Detroit and started working in Barris' shop. By the early 60's you could have Hines lift your custom for about $200 bucks!

- Andy took a trip to Whittier Blvd in '72, saw hydraulics and brought the vision to the bay area lowrider scene and then help it blow up nationwide w/ Andy's Hydraulics shops all over the western US. His first shop doing hydraulics was over on S First Street in downtown San Jose.

- Andy's actually lifted Gambino's car back when he was 17 years old in San Jose. Did a car way back then for Von Franco too.

Some good history that was fun to learn...

-scott noteboom

4. your right about that but you had better have deep pockets if you wanna play in the aircraft game. That stuff is big bucks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. But it sure is beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. NOS Eemcos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AD

AD

HEyyy i werk on that stuff.. (gears begining to turn)

8. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

skim, is that all your stuff? if so, wow.....

btw: im still looking for parts for my own project. if anyone has stuff for sale hit me up.

-scott noteboom

9. I wish. I do know some of the owners who deal strictly in ww2 aircraft hydraulics. I've got some good contacts for you if you need them.

10. eric

eric

Congrats Scott!!
    i read my brothers copy yesterday at his house.
    i remember ANDYS from my dads old lowrider magazines, mostly his crazy 4 door chevelle with big ass 4x4 tires sitting on cragars resting on the back bumper!:eek:
    it was a good read along with the Shawn Kerri article

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I always liked the lowrider stuff, not everyones taste,but you have to respect the amount of work that goes into them.

12. eric

eric

Rick's ride from L.B.C.C. with his aircraft setup:cool:

13. I am glad Garage mag got their chit together enjoyed the read on Andy's Hydros.-Weeks

14. And I learned another new thing today...thanks for the info and the pics...WOW those systems look amazing!!

15. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

eric- i had the chance to see Rick's Impala when i was at Ted Well's house last year. it's an amazing and very traditional lowrider. the aircraft setup on that car is bad ass. i dig the record player inside and all...

-scott noteboom

16. The master himself! ;)

17. another NOS Eemco

[​IMG]

18. eric

eric

Damn hanging out at Ted Well's place too Scott!??
    it was a good read Scott, i enjoyed it!

19. True indeed. You should see the WW2 aircraft set ups the Japanese have been building lately. They are doing some really crazy stuff out there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. some more aircraft eye candy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

yes. part II of this story is the southern california perspective, and ted wells is deeply part of that-- along with the stories of ernyst house / hydraulic unlimited, al sullivan, hugh stilman, daryl "bozos" davis, the formation of ottos, etc..... Oh, and the old surplus houses in LA to get parts-- Palleys in Vernon, Earls in Hawthorne.

with the changes going on w/ Garage, i'm still not sure where the story will get heard--- but it's good stuff.

Brian Bounds is the guy who seeded this interest in me, and i had a good time hunting it down.

-scott noteboom

22. Eemco motor w/ Stratopower pump head

[​IMG]

23. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to it. Aircraft Hydraulics will and always have played a major role in Lowriding and early forms of suspension modification. Its good that guys like you can spread the knowledge and interest into other areas.
    Like i said, I will be looking forward to it. Its all part of the same history in customizing.

24. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

[​IMG]

-scott noteboom

25. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Here's an old B-29 hydraulic diagram...

[​IMG]

-scott noteboom

26. 303racer

303racer

cool looking stuff

27. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Scott, picked up Garage last thursday and I must say Bravo! Job well done!

But, I made the mistake of taking it to work and it walked off my desk! Last I heard it was up in the I.T. Dept.!! I guess the nerds dig the cool stuff too! LOL!