Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Compressor Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I was doing some maintenence on my air compressor today and need to know what the fuck I'm doing.
    Air Compressor is a Stationary type, Vertical tank, 80 gallon,7 H.P. 2 stage. The motor is electric with a belt,220 volt. Pump is a V-twin,kinda looks like an old Harley,lol.
    I bought this from Home Depot about 12 yrs ago and it says on the side it has a 3 yr tank warranty. I've NEVER CHANGED THE OIL.
    I drained the oil outta the crankcase of the pump and put in air compressor oil. It was from Campbell Hausfield and the oil is clear.
    I remember buying this shit for my air tools.But it says air compressor oil. Should I use this shit or just put some 30 wt. motor oil in it? I dont know what the fuck I'm doing and my book that came with it, the english part is gone and I dont speak french or German very good. Halp!! Mikey

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Use the air compressor oil.....................It's non detergent, ( which is prone to screwing up some paint job action, if it IS a detergent oil, or "motor oil")...........

3. Does it say anything on the label about being "synthetic" oil? This could explain the clear and odd lack of color. Lack of detergents and additives for internal combustion engines could also explain the lack of color.

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I use Mobil Air Compressor oil from Grainger Supply.
    It is what the company recommended.
    Better safe than sorry!

5. garcoal

garcoal

ive used10/40 castrol gtx in my matco compressor for 20 years. it still builds pressure just fine. try to change it at least once every 2 years. keep it drained. oil comes out looking just like the oil i take out. oils still cheap and easy to change. clean new oil is better than old nasty stuff

6. r8odecay

r8odecay

My understanding is the clear stuff is very highly refined and what you should use. It's like a sewing machine oil. And no detergents or contaminants.

7. ems customer service

ems customer service

30w synthectic is very ok, air compressor oil is better and it takes hard running under tough conditions to notice the diff, we use air compressor oil and change it every 6 months. if you drain a lot of water out of the tank then oil needs to be changed more often. this depends on your humidty. we get alot more water in the winter time.

8. lawman

lawman

I have always used Mobile 1 in Mine and try to drain the tank once a mon.
    Tom (Tired Old Man)

9. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I use Mobil 1 30 wt in mine for last 10 years since new. I change it once a year.

10. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

30w non-detergent.

11. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

if use use your comp to paint . i would not put synthectic oil in it ,

unless you like fisheyes..

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Watching this thread with interest. Need to change my compressor oil too!

13. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

I maintain 3 different air compressors at work.

All 3 require different oil.

RTFM- read the f'n manual. If you lost it, look online.

14. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

What he said!:):):)

15. pauls fords

pauls fords

A guy I used to know who worked on compressors said to use ATF,,, thats right Automatic trans oil,,,so I put it in my Dayton 10hp 4 cylinder 2 stage comp,,,I have been running it for 2 years no problems,,plus it starts up in winter with no problems either,,,,do an awfull lot of sand blasting so it is used all the time....

16. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM