Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Cleaner Volume and flow question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flt-blk, Jun 1, 2010.

1. I'm changing intakes on my Stude Powered Model A, and in the process I made a new air cleaner.

How do I calculate how much of an opening I need outside the air filter element to ensure I don't starve the carbs.

I need to draw air in underneath so I don't suck water when it rains (I don't have a hood) the blue tape is what I want to use, each oval is approx the size of one carb opening.

There are 5 ovals, that's approx 2.5 times more opening outisde the filter as there is on the carb.
    IS THIS ENOUGH??

Here are a couple pictures to show what I'm dealing with.

Attached Files:

2. Vergil

Vergil

Nice fabrication on the filter flt-blk looks good. I think you should have plenty opening area and with the oval on the outside you will be using the full filter.

Vergil
    <TABLE id=post5293922 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] Today, 10:09 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #1 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>flt-blk<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5293922", true); </SCRIPT>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE id=post5293922 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] Today, 10:09 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #1 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>flt-blk<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5293922", true); </SCRIPT>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Run what ya got. It looks bitchin'. You can always take it off for any heavy street racing if you think it might be holding you back.:D

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Man, that looks REALLY cool, Tyler. I think you'll be fine with that, it looks like air can flow into the oval holes and around the inside of the housing to all sides of the filter, right? Should be more than enough...

5. Looks great, I agree the proposed holes ahould be enough.

6. Thanks guys,
    I thought it would be enough opening but after I started obsessing I couldn't get past it.

Now I need to figure out what to paint on the side.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice job! Good idea, keeping the water out when it rains. But be sure you don't have them in the spray zone of your front wheels, either.

What the heck kind of carbs are those? Pretty snappy. Gary

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Looks good from here...

9. That's what fenders are for :D
    The carbs are Stromberg WW's made for 53-55 Studebaker

Attached Files:

10. Ever hear of water injection?:p:rolleyes:

11. nice!! maybe you could fab me up an air cleaner my newly aquired 59 el camino :p

12. The K&N website has an airfilter area equation.

http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#SELECT

If your openings are 5x the filter area, that should be sufficient. I've seen many stock air filters that are much smaller than that.

13. here's a followup, holes are done, now it's time for some screen then paint.

Do you know how difficult it is to carve an oval hole on a curved surface???

Attached Files:

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever look at the "snorkel" on a late 60's GM air cleaner? Check out the hole size v.s. the venturi size.

You are in a thought loop. That air cleaner is awesome, and will flow more than enough.

15. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Very cool! Your gonna get a lot of questions when ya drive in with that!

16. I found some really cool looking oval mesh in McMaster Carr but at $48 a sheet I opted for a 6X6 woven mesh. It's 0.020 wire size so I should be able to form it to the corner shape.

Didn't even get the stainless since I'm not sure if I will paint it Black to match, or silver as an accent.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

17. Got a picture of the mesh? I need to order some and could possibly offset your purchase price?:)

18. R Pope

R Pope

Put a vacuum line hookup in the cleaner and check if there's any vacuum inside at WOT. Don't go by factory jobs, they are dictated by bean counters and smog inspectors and some are horribly restrictive.

19. Tyler, you have the Oval AND the woven? I will buy off a chunk of either and/or both if you like. That Oval is damn cool.

20. No I just got the woven. I can't see spending $50 for the little bit of screen I need.

21. PM sent

22. WOW....way cool looking brother!

23. On and running, this thing looks really cool.

it has a tremendous sucking noise though, not sure if it's just the backdraft Stromberg WW's or if something is goofy.

Attached Files:

24. now that's way cool looking.
    3x2's on the super secret project

25. that intake is sitting on the motor, I'm still determined to inject it though.

26. looks great!!!how does it run??

27. As i remember my Olds and Merc. with backdraft carbs. also had that noise. The stock air cleaners were baffled inside to stop the noise. By the way i like the looks on that setup.