Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Air Bags: The Case For And Against

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexican wheelie bars

scotty t, apenglish64 and Baumi like this.
  2. I am pretty sure Manuel's car is now bagged in the rear and I also know it has an independent front suspension as I was in his garage looking at it when he was building it so it kind of defies the whole "traditional" argument unless you don't look under it

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  3. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Yeah, it's a very fine line. Visually, we are splitting hairs literally over an inch or two. To me, I like these cars to be on the low side, but to still have a bit of a performance look, at least a hint. To look, as Ryan says, "athletic." Would be interesting to give all the cars pictured on this thread the "Lucky Strike test." When I see wheels in wheel wells that look like these two, it does not look like it functions properly, and to my eye it starts to affect the proportions of the machine:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 9.51.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 9.51.39 AM.png

However, these two cars look dead-on and stunning:

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 9.52.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 9.52.58 AM.png
    Of course, this is just my opinion, I'm sure others have a completely different set of preferences. All cool, just exchanging ideas and perspectives, that's what makes the HAMB a satisfying and interesting read. However, I do have a feeling that the whole "laying frame" phenom will be a passing fad, something we will look back on and say, oh yeah, remember 2015?

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. A friend of mine went 240+ at boneville with bags on each corner.
    Not trying to contradict.........just saying

That Merc is super cool and yes I remember “doing the dance “ back in my mini truck days. Still have to in my bus

Stogy likes this.
  5. silent rick

silent rick

so if bags are allowed now, what about front clips to facilitate mounting said bags to...just as long as it ain't a mustang II

6. I would imagine if you don't bring attention to it it will slide kind of like all the hotrod threads I see where guys are using modern transmissions, radial tires etc that no one seems to bitch about.

7. I got em on my 53.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

And I have bags on my '53. What's your point?

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Most interesting thread.Thanks to Ryan for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Ryan, I feel that your same reasoning can be applied to mustang II suspensions.. I would rather see a non- bagged Mustang II suspension on a custom than bags.. Plenty of cars in the 30's had independent front ends and the Mustang II is just a refinement of those front ends.. I don't think they belong on early 30's cars, especially hiboys but are certainly no worse than a bagged custom with all the controls hanging from under the dash and in the trunk, But hey, I'll abide by the rules of the forum.....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  11. XXL__

XXL__

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No just to clarify I did not miss the point I was actually telling Willy he was incorrect...;)...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Moriarity likes this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn '36 3Ws make gorgeous hot rods, customs and custom rods. And that one is perfect.

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  16. Sorry if I offended you. Am I under attack by you? Are you sensitive? Is that what makes you special?

Moriarity likes this.
  17. ebfabman

ebfabman

"... certainly no worse than a bagged custom with all the controls hanging from under the dash and in the trunk, "

Neither of those are true with my car and you can't get any more bagged than it is. Point is there is no way to tell by looking.

Stogy likes this.
  18. XXL__

XXL__

You're probably one of those guys who uses API SN spec oil in your engine, too.

ebfabman likes this.
  19. Well first, I don't believe this is a 'hard core restoration mindset' site. There's certainly a vocal minority who thinks so, but Ryan's limited acceptance of airbags give lie to that. And look at the bright side; with some 'heretics' present here, it gives that minority something to stew about. Without that, how long before you're reduced to complaining about how the casting number on that water pump dates it as too new and it's not a trad part? :eek::rolleyes:;)

'...imagination and innovation beyond the build style of a certain era.' That ship sailed long ago. Fit, finish, safety, details on 'modern' traditional cars has moved far beyond what was 'commonly' done 'back in the day'. Unless it's a slavishly restored or unmolested survivor, 'pure' traditional cars are pretty rare. And when restored, most are 'over restored'. I hate to say this, but I've seen rat rods that in terms of the parts used and how they're built that are more traditional than most cars at shows.

I love traditional styled cars, particularly the ones built 'back in the day' that some here now claim don't 'truly' represent the era.

20. ebfabman

ebfabman

You're correct, but.....you can't tell by looking...

WillyKJr, Stogy and Special Ed like this.
  21. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah ... you deeply offended me. :rolleyes: C'mon, man ... I asked you ONE easy, basic question on here, and you weren't even capable of performing that simple task. Way to go .... Your participation award is on it's way. :confused:

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took me some time to finally learn the lesson here that Don't Ask Don't Tell is a safe rule to live by here on the HAMB. Been plenty of gorgeous rides garnering many accolades on this site where the cars had some OT shit . . . a whole bunch . . . just keep the hood (or trunk) closed if you must.

Please do not fail to get the take-home message that Ryan has laid out here . . . you want bags? Then have bags. Just don't talk about them and certainly don't show them. Somebody has to make the rules.

This has become another opinion thread, but I'm pretty sure that there's only one opinion that really matters regarding this subject (and by god, we are glad to have him!)

DIYGUY, Stogy, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  23. 46stude

46stude

Doubt I'd do that- I don't own a HAMB style vehicle at the moment. My '62 Thunderbird has an '80s 302/C6 and rides on 16" Crown Vic wheels. It fits the year cut off here, but it's neither a traditional rod or custom. It sits really low on cut coils & rides like shit, but it's not bagged so I guess it could get past the mods...... ;)

Point is, this site is about a particular era of the automotive hobby. And in our modern society, people have an "entitlement" complex- "my car has this or that that kicks it out of the era, but I'm special so I should get to post about it anyway". Just about impossible for Ryan to do anything but tighten the reigns now & again to purge the ones who don't "get it".

F-ONE and Special Ed like this.
  24. Would anyone like to know the importance of at least discussing M2 suspension?

I'll tell you anyways,
    the set up works good on a 74-79 mustang and anything that may have the same relative weight, frame height, frame width and track width. That's sort of common sense right?? Here's the important parts & I believe discussion would benefit the general population here on the HAMB- they don't fit everything, moving things around to Fit causes problems and the kits available are not redesigned to work they are reconfigured to fit. BIG difference.

texasred, ffr1222k and Crazy Steve like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’ve had the feeling of driving straight axle cars for 30 years. Honestly, I think I am done with it. If I were to build a period correct 1952 era roadster, I would, but a full fendered car needs to ride softer as I age. I used to shake my head and laugh at the old guys with their creature comforts, but I am the old guy now.

Thor1, ffr1222k, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. That's a true story.... But unfortunately, the purveyors of these abortions have gotten the price down to too-attractive levels and perfected the installation to where almost anybody can install one. 1-800, and the parts are even clean!

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  27. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

I dont enjoy that butt clench moment I get when I slowly creep out of certain driveways or over some speed bumps as I wonder "will it scrape?" in my Buick that has lowering blocks in the rear. I do about 3000KMs a month in this car.

I like customs low. "lower the altitude, raise the attitude".
    Saying this I have been in some bagged rides that rode terrible due to lack of research or planning when installing.
    I do like coil overs I must admit.
    So since I was changing up everything under my Hudson I decided to get Bag over over airsprings/shockwaves from ridetech. made for my weight vehicle and my goal ride height. I have set it up with the scrubline done correctly for the event of a blowout. they come with a million and one mile warranty. im pretty confident in the system.
    I like the idea of going up or down an extra three inch from ride height at a flip of a switch.
    with luck no more butt clenching for me :p

pat59, Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  28. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

I tend to build and fab for for the job at hand. Though I love traditional style and one of our sleds has been lowered and maintains OE, period correct hardware (and does not "lay frame") we also have a bagged sled that does long hauls, multi-passengers and even hauls parts home from swap meets. Visually, the car gives little indication that it rides on air. Functionally, it is a dream to drive. I don't lay frame or drag the ass down main street just to let folks know it is bagged. It lives primarily at ride height, for which there are three distinct settings and I can enjoy the look and functionality of all of them. The blatantly obvious technical differences can be discussed all day and that is part of the fun, until it isn't. Build what you like or need and be okay with it. Maybe it doesn't "belong" here so be it but if it's safe, looks right and you enjoy it....good enough.

Stogy, don't fret, I hear ya' loud and clear. Enjoy the journey man.

pat59 and Stogy like this.
  29. Yes, anyone and I mean anyone that can follow directions can install a universortafitsal kit complete with incorrect and compromised design pretty easy.
    Trusting the manufacturer to have done the homework is where the innocent gets the short end of the stick.

pat59 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.