Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bags question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Nitro Breath

Nitro Breath
    BANNED
    from Eugene, OR

Agreed. Bags are very appropriate for mini-trucks. But not "old school" at all. Carbs not computers, springs not bags, etc. Hell, even electric fans are too sissy high tech for me.

2. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Hey Mr.C, is a 1/8 hole in the pipe plug a good start? You're not the first to suggest the pipe plug. I came across a guy that used the manual valves today, and said his worked good, but only a few months.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey FNG, have a look at this:

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Ala_Kart

Built in 1957, has air bags. Just how old is YOUR school?

4. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

I would run 3/8 if I want the "happy medium", the problem with the 1/4" line is that it's measured by the outside diameter, so the actual area is not enough, if your still wanting to really dial it in you can run smc flow control valves inline

5. Chickenlegs

Chickenlegs

Since were talking bags. Im wondering if you could use a spare tire as a tank? I dont know what pressure s held in the tanks, but since Im running dual side mounts and have limited room, could these take the place of a steel tank?

6. choptvan

choptvan

NO! Tires are bearly built to hold 40 psi. Most systems run over 100 psi. Unless of course you don't plan on keeping your deck lid for long...

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the systems we build run 175-200psi, and a 5-8 gallon tank. Not going to get that with a car tire. Tanks are cheap.

8. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

1/8 hole may still be too big, but alot of it has to do with how heavy your car is.
    make one with a 1/8 in size hole in it install it on the front dump valve, if its to fast move it to the rear dump, and make one smaller for the front. if you have a 8 valve setup then make 2 of each. its cheap and easy.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Hey ya'll bags are allowed here, so dont shut the mans thread down by pissin on bags.

9. bigpokie

bigpokie

** EDIT. I didn't see the date! Found this searching for something on google.****

I have 2 O/T trucks. Both bagged. '00 s-10 x-cab with 1/2" lines and valves. I have 1/2" x 3/8" bushings with brass exhaust filters and it still to fast. My 04 QC dodge 1500 has 3/8" lines and valves with the brass filters and it's just about right. The filters will slow your dump speed and make a lot quiter and not so much as major air leak !

The brass filters are conical in shape. I can't upload a pic of the kind I have

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Size of the lines depends on what you want to do with it. As was mentioned, many heavy truck systems use 1/4 OD lines and the air can be dumped from them in about 30 seconds. The main reason for using the smaller line is to minimize air loss if a bag fails because the air is also used for the brakes. Another reason is so air doesn't transfer from side to side too quickly.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/4" valves and lines are way too slow. I have not installed anything but a 3/8" valves and lines in years.

If you have air transferring from side-to-side, in your car system, you built it wrong.

Each corner should have its own set of valves.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are the brass air mufflers:
    [​IMG]

13. I drilled a 1/16 hole in a plug and use that to slow down the drop (air release). I also have 1/4 inch lines and they are fast enough for me, I am just adjusting ride height.
    <---- As used on my COE

14. bigpokie

bigpokie

Yes those are it. I dot know how to upload pics on here. Thanks