Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bag height info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Apr 28, 2006.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Alright, Ive been pondering bagging for a while, and honestly, I dont have the money to do it right now either, but Im still dreaming. My main question is what bag has the slimmest deflated height?

Now, theres been lots of talk about over leaf for the rear setup, but suicide doors offers a behind the axle kit, Wouldnt that allow for maximum drop? How would I stabilize the rear axle, would gas shocks and the bags do it or would I have to run a 3 link/4link with that kind of bagging? Without C notching my frame I can lose about 6-7" in the rear which is just about enough to lay it out, Ill be an inch or so from the ground and that works for me. For the front setup would it be easiest to take out the lower A arms and weld some cups on them and do the same for the upper arms?

My last question is does anybody have experience with Air Zenith compressors? I havent seen them around very much.

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

What kind of car are you talking about here?
    I'm running a single air zenith in my wagon and I love it, goes up to 200 psi, but I only run it up to 160 since that's all I need.
    Check out the air ride forum on layitlow.com's forums. There are some retards on there, but there are alot of guys that really know they're shit when it comes to bags. I've learned alot from it.

3. The stacked,double-donut style compresses the most.I took mine off and changed to the bladder type,like on semi's,but smaller.My shoebox has the behind the axel mount.The difference in ride with the bladder type is unbelievable,'cause it expands when you hit bumps.

4. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

most double convoluted bags have a minimum compressed height of 3 inches slam bags are about 3.50 to 3.25 depending on the bag. behind the axle mount is no good for a leaf spring design becouse of the axle twist it will bring I know a lot of people do it but it is not right. A double covoluted bag on the top of the rear end will ride like shit. behind the rear end even worse.

5. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

So the sleeve type is the best for the rear? How should they be mounted? Im fine with taking out the leaf pack entirely and going with a different setup If I can get it low.

6. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

It would still be helpful to know what you are building. As far as ride quality goes on the rear, its pretty much like this:
    If you have take the same bag, and mount it over the axle, behind the axle, or in front of the axle, it doesn't matter. Ride will be exactly the same in any scenario. You will not be able to tell a difference either way.

The only reason people choose one setup over the other is dependent on the individual situation. Mounting the bags in front or behind the axle can allow the bags to be hidden beneath the floor easier then on top of the axle.

Air over leaf will work, but is not the ideal situation. A 3-link or 4-link will be a much better way to go for sure, and again what you choose will depend upon what you are building.

The Air Zenith compressors are real nice, as are the Viair compressors. Either one would serve you well

7. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

bags are like springs they have different rates.2500 2600 2800 1600 lb. and so on its like choosing springs. you have to choose the correct one for what you are doing. I say never put a bag behind a leaf spring setup becouse it will want to twist the spring and couse some driveline issues not becouse the rate has changed. but if you have a link style setup. like I always use. I generally mount the bag on the lower arm, the farther up the arm the more mechanical advantage, therefore the spring gets softer, you also get more lift. But it takes more pressure.

8. My bags are not used for suspension anymore,it was when I bought it.It has a 3-link set up,with a panhard bar for lateral stability.I just use the bags to get up driveways and speedbumps now.I put the leafs back on with lowering blocks to get the height I wanted,and it made the car more stable.How you mount your bags,will have alot to do with how much your car will drop and how smooth it will ride.50lbs.rides different than 20lbs.,but 50lbs.your car is higher.You need to decide what height you want your car when you are driving,then mount the bags accordingly.My car looks better with 20lbs,but it rides better at 40lbs.YOU must make the decision.I can tell you how mine is set up,but that does'nt mean it's good for you.