Register now to get rid of these ads!

AHH the smell of burning flesh in the early PM...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, Feb 19, 2008.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

so i was just welding on some exhaust here at work. fire up the welder, turn the knobs to the appropriate places, open up the gas valve and find me a good ground and have at it. after about 2" of good bead it starts acting funny on me and spitting slag like mad, another tech here tells me to turn down the wire and it doesn't help. i keep going the best i can when i feel something (i thought) hit the underside of my sleeve and i think nothing of it until i smell something like steak and see smoke coming outta my sleeve followed my searing pain...i drop the welder and start jumping around screaming like a little girl, trying to shake my sleeve out. the still red-hot piece falls out and i turn off the welder so it's not running while i tend to my charred flesh. then i notice the CFH gauge is on zero and it all makes sense.

there was just enough gas to register when i started but it ran out almost immediately and resulted in a 1 1/2" long black and brown scorched curly-cue on the bottom of my forearm...it feels fantastic :p

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice.... I think I'm going to grill out tonight!

thanks for the reminder... use aloe.

3. Nomadness

Nomadness

Hey if your lucky it will get infected like my burns usually do. :eek:

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

try soaking it in cold apple cider vinegar, it will take the burn out of it.

5. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

6. belair

belair

Feels better when it quits hurting.

7. carmarket

carmarket

Had that happen to my crotch once when I was sitting and welding.It was a rather interesting feeling.

8. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Thats happened to me also.The only problem is I tripped over the cord while running to the sink in the garage.I ended up with more road rash on the shoulder than from the burn.

9. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

I just caught my glove and then my thumb on fire this weekend welding.... it was pretty sweet althought i unlike you didn't screem like a little girl i sounded more like homer simpson.

10. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i really hate it when that happens..........

11. noboD

noboD

I thought you are supposed to soak it inside 'er

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My favorite was one time in welding school I had some sparks go inside my glove while I was welding away and it started geting hotter and hotter inside my glove. I stopped and pulled up my hood with the other hand and smoke was billowing out of my glove and flesh was sending urgent messages to my synaptic nerve to get that fucking glove off now!

Do not wear clothes you do not want holes in whilst welding, period. :D

13. Kramer

Kramer

Soak it in cider, (say it fast) that always helps take away the pain.

14. Kramer

Kramer

:)Darn noboD beat me to it.:)

15. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

dont feel bad , I had sneaker on once cutting off a bolt with a torch and it fell on the sneaker red hot burned into the sneaker and dame nere thought my foot i couldnt get it off , so it was cool by the time i got the sneaker off after it started to get better i could stick my pinky finger a quter of the why in the hole it hurt like hell. wont do that again

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I had one burn through my pants leg, and go into my shoe....I did the "Curly Shuffle" all around the shop for a few minutes, while my "good buddies" were "Wooob, wooob woooobing" for me!

17. Wildfire

Wildfire

I have several pairs of socks with burn holes from stuff dropping in my shoes. Hope your arm gets better.

18. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

speaking of a burning crotch...i just noticed a neat little hole burned in my new pants about 3" from the nether regions. that was close :D

19. jbradleyd

jbradleyd

Ive burnt more clothes than i care to count from welding floor pans from underneath. Then I always hit my head in the mad dash to get the hell out from under there. Putting tooth paste on the burn always takes the burn out for me.

20. chopo

chopo

this thread is worthless without pics!!!! :D:D:D

21. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

I was welding vertical up one day on a large cast iron gearbox,I got the weld a little too hot and a large glob of molten metal dropped into my left glove and stopped under my plastic watch band,I ripped off the glove and watch and it slid in my pants pocket, burnt through and rolled down my leg and into my boot right behind the tongue. I don't wear a watch anymore and try to be way more carefull!!

22. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i don't have anything but the camera on my phone at the shop, but you know those fake char-broiled lines on frozen hamburger patties? yeah...about like that :rolleyes:

23. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

its nice when your laying half on your side and half on your back under a trailer welding some bolts and then you think you smell something but think nothing of it it only to feel a slight pinching on your stomach and then relies that the belly of your shirt is on fire

was a social distortion shirt to, now it hangs off the edge of my top bunk

24. 56Sedan

56Sedan

I know where you're coming from.. I've had lots of shit fall down into my shoes(gotta wear shorts in hot-ass humid FL) while welding or using the hot wrench.. hurt almost as bad as the time I was mixing some primer and the damn cup slid off the bench and splashed all into my pants.. shit burnt like hell. Bad thing was I had a date that night I'm taking lacquer thinner to everything trying to get it cleaned up. That fuckin stung!

25. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

A few years ago, I was welding up the step notch in my 55 Olds. I had it up on jack stands and was hunched over under the wheel well welding on the outside of the frame rail. I was using an old arc welder so it was putting off some pretty good slag. Well, in the middle of a bead, one of those red hot little slag balls, hit the floor, rolled straight between my spread legs, burnt though my coveralls, my jeans, my boxer shorts, and nailed my right on the HOLE. Didn't even singe a cheek, it went straight for the money shot. I instantly couldn't breath, dropped the welding lead, just about kicked my car off the jack stands, and rolled around on the floor for a bit screaming like a little girl. The best part was that my brother was standing there and seemed very concerned until I told him what the problem was. Then he just about pissed his pants laughing at me. Needless to say, I sit on a 2x4 when welding on the floor now.

26. do you need an ouchless bandaid for your boo-boo?:D

27. vicksrods

vicksrods

I was doing some welding the other day with a nice new thick flannel shirt on. I saw a flash on my right side raised my hood and all of the little fuzz on my shirt was burning it went all the way around my back and down my left arm as I was frantically trying to pat it out. The shirt still stinks after numerous washings

28. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I can relate to all the welding slag in the shirt, pants, and shoes, but the worst burns I've had were big blue chips from a metal lathe, the one's when your taking a big hog cut. They always fly in your mouth or down your shirt, the worst one I had stuck on my neck, got hung in my collar. When they hit they stick and you got to knock em off, you can definately smell burnin flesh, shit hurts just thinkin about it.

29. striper

striper

I have heaps of "setting myself on fire" stories. Sometimes I start telling them at work and more just keep coming. The guys think it's hilarious. Oh yeah, my work? I'm a fireman.

Maybe my best effort was putting a new floor in my dad's trailer. Hot day, wearing shorts and my shins start getting "sunburned" because I'm standing right where I'm welding. Bright idea...tie some rags around my knees. Not so bright. I tied those knots good and tight so they wouldn't come undone. Turned myself into a human "Roman Candle". That was before I was a fireman. I'm much more careful now :)

30. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

fds?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010