Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects After 4 years my truck gets a little love

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deadbird, Sep 2, 2013.

1. nice! love it!

2. Deadbird

Deadbird

We got the engine in today. I got some pretty good help from my son Jesse and his girl Hannah.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378943143.688938.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378943159.072283.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378943174.338729.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Nice.... Great thread !

4. 2racer

2racer

she looks very nice....

5. Gqt some love for it to.

6. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

great info. i love c10 i have a 64 . i wanna do that t5 swap someday
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. lehr

lehr

Very nice ! Have you ever though about flipping the rear bump the other way, run the plate on the bottom and kind of close that gap to the tail gate ?

Pat

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice work, Lee. Quite a transformation and it should be an even better driver than before!

Malcolm

9. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Truck is looking good! I think adding two cylinders was a good thing!! :)

10. chevymike

chevymike

Great looking truck and nice work you're doing.

BTW, thought I would share a pic with slot mags. They always look great on these trucks. Kind of wish I kept this truck.

[​IMG]

11. Deadbird

Deadbird

Oooh! That makes me think I need to get tires on those slots. Sharp!

A guy can have two sets of wheels, right?

12. Looks good,nice work. HRP

13. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Looking great! Any updates?

14. Deadbird

Deadbird

I guess it's been a while since my last update. The going has been slow these past few months My right hand man has been busy with cross country and school stuff and I've been spending most of my Saturdays watching him run. The state championship is this Saturday and his team is one of the front runners. So we hope to get cracking on the C10 again soon. In the meantime, here's what I've done recently.

The headers wouldn't clear the stock engine mounts and frame perches. So I got a set of fabricated perches from CPP. They gave me a bit more than and inch extra clearance and move the engine forward about three inches in the process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the way it fits better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the radiator.

[​IMG]

What I'm up against now is that the old clutch linkage won't work with the headers. Just no way it's going to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really want to use these headers, so I'm going with a hydraulic throwout bearing. I've got the master cylinder and pedal all set up. No pictures yet. I'll try to take some tonight. Have to drop the trans out to finish it off. That's why I'm stuck at the moment. I need to have Jesse around for a solid day to help me with it. Should happen in the next week or two.

I can't blame him though. I missed taking it to every show this year and sort of ran out of steam after the Iron Invasion. Need to get it done though. :cool:

15. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Love these trucks.

Subscribed to see how it finishes up.

16. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

sweet truck and that's coming from a ford guy haha goodluck man

17. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Good luck Saturday. Let's get back to work.

18. Deadbird

Deadbird

Just a mini-update. Got the hydraulic clutch mechanism installed. That wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a lot of little things left to do now.

19. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Lee! I also used a hydraulic throwout bearing in my roadster and I'm very happy with how well it works. The pedal pressure/effort is just right.

Malcolm

21. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You will thank yourself for keeping the manual trans. I made the mistake of putting in auto in my pickup. Hated it

Going back to a clutch. I just need to decide if I'm going to make it hydraulic or mechanical

22. LostHope

LostHope

trucks looking great and i like the finned valve covers still on the look out for a cheap set at a swap meet for my 350, I also redid my bedwood and painted it black, I think it is a great call if your going to be using it as a truck like i do, ive already re-painted mine twice( Hauling scrap metal)...Doing the bolting of the bed would sucks doing it by your self! I like your magnet trick for the carriage bolts, i wasn't as smart to think of a magnet and used a pair a vice-grips lightly pinched on to the heads to add weight and keep the carriage bolts from pushing up and from somewhat turning which required me to climb out from under the truck into the bed for each bolt....the magnet would have worked great on the washers for sure , i was cussing up a storm staring at all those bolts poking down and dropping washer and nuts left and right LOL! Keep plugging away your doing a great job!

23. shortbed67

shortbed67
    from Tucson

What is that upper radiator hose from? Or part #?

25. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work on a nice little truck - enjoying the thread !

26. Deadbird

Deadbird

That's a replacement part from NAPA. I forget what the part number is, but it's what they had listed for a 63 C10 with a 283. It didn't fit right until I moved the engine to the forward mounts.

Thanks Divco. I really like the old Calcustoms.

I think I've got everything buttoned up now. It should be ready to fire but the old truck got temporarily evicted from the garage today so that we could roll the Falcon in for a tranny swap that didn't go so well. It's OK though. I made a deal with my buddy that built the engine for me in 1990. Promised him that he would be here when I fired it up. At the time I had no idea that it would be 24 years later and he would be about 6 hours away. :0 I need to see if we can work out a time for him to be here soon.

Stay tuned kids. There's more to come.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  27. shortbed67

shortbed67
    from Tucson

Thanks for the hose info. I've been looking for a 283 in the 6 cylinder position hose for years. That one looks like it might work.

28. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Looking good Deadbird!

I second the comments about slots looking good on these trucks.

Attached Files:

29. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

How's the truck coming? Thought I might see ya at the Rust Revival, but saw you aren't going to make it this year.

30. Deadbird

Deadbird

Sorry for the long delay in updates. The truth is not much has happened with the Chevy since December. That's all started to change in just the past few weeks.

It's been a long hard winter. But the truck is about to hit the streets. I'm taking vacation this week to get it wrapped up. A good friend built this engine for me in 1990. We promised each other then that he would be there when I fired it up. He's making the trip from Springfield, MO on Wednesday. The plan is to fire it up, tune a bit and drive it to Red's muffler shop to have the full custom dual exhaust with Porter mufflers installed.

All I have to do before then is charge the battery and dump some gas in it. I'll post some pics of the glorious event, maybe a video too.

[​IMG]