Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aerostar springs the result

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Talkwrench, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Finished fitting a set of Aerostar springs to the town sedan. Originally when I got the car the previous owner in the U.S. did the ol' oxy lowering trick , when we pulled the springs out they were like bananas. Found a set of replacement springs at the time and from memory there were T bird springs. Of course it sat a little high so Rick and I cut a coil off [may have been half a coil?] which you will see in the pictures for reference. I measured the originals at .683" thick and the new Aerostar ones at .755" and as we know they are progressively wound. The new springs are great, still a fairly soft ride I was expecting firmer, going over a speed hump at any speed will have you bouncing up and down still, and I think the reality is you bottom out before the spring actually gets firmer from the winding as the car is now much lower.. I can notice the difference in cornering, I can get around corners quickly, I do have heavy front and rear anti swaybars and KYB shocks also the rear has 1 3/4" lowering blocks so cornering is a breeze. Tried to do a side by side comparison , first pics are the cut Tbird springs , I think the Aerostars have lowered it another 1/2" you wouldn't want any lower ..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AHotRod and Squablow like this.
  2. 56longroof

56longroof

Looks good. I'm getting ready to do the same to my wagon.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great ride - very helpful showing the difference in car height - have you tried looking for shocks by full up/full down measurements?