Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on starting a motor 5 years dormant...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkboy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

Just purchased a 73 Charger [​IMG] that has been sitting out here in the desert for at least 5 years. the air cleaner was all covered up to keep out dust. the coil was removed to help prevent unwanted joy rides, and the guy says it was driven to its current parking spot behind a tool shed...and has been sitting ever since. what should I do before I put the fuel and spark to her??

2. shoebox72

shoebox72

Get your head examined. [​IMG]

Billy

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

who made you buy a 73 charger? what car are you gonna put the engine and tranny in?

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i would remove the spark plugs and pour some marvel mystery oil into the cylinders,put the plugs back in and let'em sit for a week or so.then *VERY IMPORTANT* remove the spark plugs (i CANNOT emphasize this enough,if you leave the plugs in and try to turn the engine with fluid in the cylinders you could really fuck things up) and turn the engine over with a wrench by hand.if it turns free you're probably in good shape.remove the valve covers and spray penetrating oil on the valves under the collars,you can smack'em with a soft hammer to loosen them up.drain or siphon as much gas as you can from the tank,you might wanna blow through the fuel line to make sure it's not clogged.