Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on selling a car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38zephyr, Mar 13, 2007.

1. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I had a 55 Chevy pickup for sale I posted last night , got quite a few pm's on it , couple friends knew it was for sale and were mentioning it to their friends . I pm'd everybody back and returned all the phone calls . Couple guys pm'd within a couple minutes of each other saying "I'll take it tomorrow call me in the morning ". Call everybody back 8 a.m. , one dude that was "taking it " starts with 20 questions and has to go in a big hurry and will call me back . Don't hear from anybody else , figure they will call after work etc. like a couple guys said . Guy calls up says I want it , I'm heading to you with cash don't sell it . No problem . Waiting for him to show get about 4 calls wanting to come by , gotta wait until the guy on the way says yes or no , then it's first come first served . TRYING to be fair and decent to EVERBODY . He shows up walks around it hands me the cash , I call a buddy with a flatbed to move it for him shake hands Thanks , aint that the way it USE TO BE . Call the guys back that were waiting to leave , "Sorry it's gone " . Dude calls up , tell him sold , "I was the first guy that called , I hope I have something you want someday PRICK " CLICK . Call him back won't pick up twice . I don't know if he was 20 question guy that bought it sight unseen and didn't call back for 6 hours or ? What do you guys think is fair ? I held up 10 buyers on a car for 3 days about a year ago waiting for a guy to drive in from Utah , he looked at it and passed after "BUYING " it over the phone sight unseen . I try like hell to be fair , but JEEZ . What do you think ? No deposits , cash and carry , first come first served ? I wish it was call guys back in the order they called , take them at their word , wait for them to get home from work or until Saturday , handshake is a deal etc. I swear to God I wish it was still that way . I wish life was like Little house on the prairie too though .

2. Next time tell anyone that shows interest that you'll hold it until someone puts cash in your hand, so who ever's first with the cash wins.

Unless I personally know the buyer, I'm not holding it nor am I turning down cash hoping the first caller who says "I'll take it." shows up.

3. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

tell me about it- went through the same thing with my coupe. Well, I finally found a GOOD buyer who stuck to his word, but I had a string of local guys (all the guys from the HAMB and other sites were decent at least, maybe it's a online attitude?), it was these damn tire kicking locals that really drove me up a wall. SAME thing, "DON'T sell it, I have the cash! I'll be there tomorrow with the trailer", then never call. After three of those guys, it was no longer me saying, "OK, I'll hold it", it switched to me telling them that I need to see cash before I make any commitments. It's only fair, "cash talks and bullshit walks". I've sold probably ten vehicles in my life, and the more recent they are, the more you see buyers like that, so I come right out and tell them all my rules and requirements up front, I come off like a dick, but at least it saves me a saturday where I'm not waiting around on any so-called buyers. Just tell whoever you talk to whenever, that it could sell at any point because many people are interested. Don't let them think that you'll hold it.

4. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Cash on the barrel head.

The only exception is if somebody says they are on their way over with cash to get it. I'd hold it long enough for them to get there and give me cash.

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I prefer the old saying, "Cash talks, bullshit walks."

You're selling a vehicle not making friends. I've been bitten once too often on "doing something friendly."

6. rixrex

rixrex

My Dad told me to trust people till they fuck you once then don't trust them anymore..I will take a mans word and a handshake, I will take a partner, I will do business with friends and family, I will take a deposit and hold something, I will do all those things you are not supposed to do because thats the way I want to treated (see Dads rule#1) I'm not stoopid and please don't mistake kindness for weakness..ultimately the guy walking up the driveway with cash gets the car/part.many descriptions and photos but ultimately as is where is..You did the right thing, don't worry about any bad mouthing from the day lates and dollar shorts....

7. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Yup, and I don't take weak deposits, either. First one to pay up get it.

8. teddyp

teddyp

no deposits you come you buy thats it! to many people say they want it you hold the car it now becomes stale and they try to get it for a cheaper price

9. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

First cash gets it. If you can't come over with your trailer, or your buudy, or whatever until tomorrow, then you had better hope no one shows up today with the cash cause they will own it.

I think you did the right thing.

I wouldn't have even promised to hold it cause someones on the way with cash. But then again, I'm a prick.

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Funny i had 15 calls about my 28 Coupe about three years ago,oh i will take it blah blah.i told them cash in hand takes it of course no one showed up.
    i sold it to a guy in Finland! his buddy came with cash and no problems.
    dont feel bad about it.
    he probably will never have anything you will want anyways...;)

11. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I bought a caddy sight unseen from someone on the board. He's been holding it since xmas. I haven't been able to get there to pick it up due to buying a new house and child care issues. BUt I paid cash and no give runaround.