Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on rubber bushings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, May 10, 2013.

1. BarryA

BarryA

I am building a triangulated four link rear set up, and will be running rubber rather than urethane bushings to allow some compliance for any potential bind in articulation.
    My thinking is that I should use metalastic (ie bonded to an inner and outer sleeve) rather than just plain rubber bushes, as they would be tougher and not get torn up.
    Can anyone confirm whether this would be preferable or if I am over thinking things?

2. HamD

HamD

I don't know what bushings you'll be using, but plain ol' rubber control arm bushing I'm used to from the 60s-up friction-hold the inner and outer sleeves by press-fit. There's no need to go further than that.

I agree with your choice of rubber. Moog offered (and may still) a higher-durometer rubber bushings for select off-topic applications. In my experience they offer a slightly firmer control arm action and the very tiny amount of squeak is tolerable. Poly applications I've been around (polygraphited et al) have been intolerable.

You're overthinking things and should go rubber; if firmer durometer is offered, consider it unless you want a rolling couch vehicle.