Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on my 32 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32fivewindow, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

I need some opionions on the direction to go with my 5 window...

I have gotten the itch to chop it... but I have recieved some negative feedback on chopping an unchopped car. What do you guys think should I try and trade for an already chopped body? Also my 5 window quarters are still a little thin and ruff for my talent. I have a set of brookville quarters that I am toying around with installing? Any thoughts?

2. UMMM... chop it!!! its your car do what you want with it, just dont hack the shit out of it.

3. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Forget the feedback, follow your passion. This thread will probably evolve to a controversial topic, but I say chop it if thats your desire. Nice car GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 117harv

117harv

Do a mild rake chop and keep those quaters, if they are the origonal to the car. The trade might be an option, especially if someone has a chopped one that has too much removed and wants to start with a virgin instead of un chopping one thats too low, which is fairly common.

5. brady1929

brady1929

i like them chopped myself. have someone who knows what they are doing chop it.
    that is if you are not comfortable doing it.

6. What's more important for you, the car looking the way you want it to, or recieving approval from others as to how your car should look?

I didn't buy the car, the guys posting below and above me don't park the car in their garage at night, paint it pink and throw zebra covered seats in it if it's what you've always pictured. I'll assume you worked hard to aquire this car, so make it exactly what you've always wanted.

7. greaser

greaser

Personally, I like them stock height, and if I had a chopped one, I'd try to make the swap. Maybe you could save yourself some work.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

30-40 years ago there was widespread sentiment against cutting up virgin old Fords-the thought being, they're irreplaceable. Nowadays with the abundance of repop bodies and replacement parts & panels coupled with an array of talent that either didn't exist back then or was just a well kept secret, nothing is irreplaceable. The supply of old cars seems to be relatively constant (vs demand) and the hotrodders keep cutting and the restorers keep bitching (while continuing to save and salvage.) Do what you want-it's your car and your dream.

9. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Being a tall guy..... I urge you to not chop it. There's plenty of chopped cars out there already. And if you chop it too much and get bored with it and decide to sell it, you just limited your market to those 5'11" and under. Besides, there's so many chopped cars out there already that the unchopped ones are starting to stand out more than the chopped ones. Just my $0.02.

10. I like un-chopped 5 windows, I also think 3 windows look better chopped, if you do it don't take too much out, it makes the body look too long.

11. clockwork31

clockwork31

Like D Rod said, follow your passion, it's a custom car! Do it the way you want, for every thoughts or decisions we take there will always be someone oppose to it anyway.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  12. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

chop, chop it's yours. Do it like YOU want it. I've got one of each and the chopped car looks way cooler in my eye.

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

14. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

I've read the few threads on here, what are your guys' thoughts on roadster quarters on a 5 window? Believe me I want to stay original, but the ones on my 32 are GARBAGE, and it seems that finding original takeoffs is about as feasible as winning the lottery or a one night stand with a Victoria secret model.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  15. I am extremely tall and find it uncomfortable to ride in a chopped car. I am 5' 10". I would suggest you ride on one that has been chopped to see if you would like to go on a long cruise in one.

Charlie Stephens

16. So the question becomes why chop one that is already chopped?

You must has a reason for chopping it, right? If you want a chopped car and already have one that you can chop why look for another one? I'd say if it were mine and I wanted a chopped one the axe would be too far off for the hury I would be in.

The quarters are another question all together. Do you need to change the quarters out? If so then do it, if not then don't. Maybe have someone close by give it a look and a second opinion.

17. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Sorry maybe I was unclear about it. It is an unchopped car... and the quarters are pretty bad... I have repop roadster quarters and was getting opinions on if anyones done the swap, how they look, any tips on doing the swap, measurements pics etc...

18. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Well said, I've been debating chopping my original 3 W. There seems to be more unchopped ones now than ever.
    It's your car do as you wish, depending on how you want it to look and your skill level.
    Fastlane Rodshop as well as the Rollingbones guys have both done the quarter swaps.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  19. kingpins

kingpins

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Since you are asking for opinions......If I had one full height, I'd leave it like that. And I don't don't like roadster quarters on coupes either. But, since it's your car and it doens't sound like a cream puff, do whatever you want to do.

21. never give up hope on this one...:D

22. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

My vote would be to chop it, but I guess you already knew that.