Register now to get rid of these ads!

advice on a first build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylerbrasher, Dec 24, 2010.

1. carbking

carbking

Definately stay in college!

But network, find others at the college (students, teachers, whatever) that have been playing with cars for a while. Offer to help with their project.

Books are wonderful things, and you can learn much from them; but nothing beats hands-on experience with guidance.

Another benefit is your network might just know where there is a project vehicle such as you wish, and help you with it.

Jon.

2. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

stay in college

think of it as a LONG term project because of your budget

straight 6s arent too much to have rebuilt by someone at the end of the day if thats how bad it got.. and LOTS of guys near throw em away in favor of an SBC, so you can get an extra for free if your patient.. i vote to keep teh 6

GET A 2 DOOR! dont drop money and time and passion into a 4 door.. dont settle..

make it run/drive safe first.. reading shold get u well versed on doing brakes, tune ups, etc... dont worry about looks for now, or lowering it, or any of that shit. thats how people end up rushing things and they look like shit.. if your on a budget do what you can do RIGHT, nothing you can just do quick... redo brakes, buy new tires, rewire it up maybe too, that never hurts, get all the lights working, charging system working, etc.... you will enjoy a car that runs and drives safe MUCH more than a car that looks a lill cooler but leaves you broken down on the side of teh road every so often

ps - on the $500 one jump on it if the frame is ok, no huge issues, and you can turn the motor by hand... those motors have issues with burning oil sometimes and other small issues, but they usually wil run after sitting a while.. also read up on what to do before you try starting it!

3. fatforty

fatforty

You have a great area of the country to start looking for a starter car.. Up north they all have a nasty rust habit.. I would suggest do the welding school, amd keeping an eye on the local auto traders for a project that you like. The paper is always got something interesting.You might find something that you can run and upgrade when the monies come in. Good Luck.. Welcome to the best hobby in the world..

4. landstander

landstander
    from kansas

stay in college

Get something from the 60's or 70's that is drive-able. Learn all about how the car works with simple upgrades. Learn how to weld by patching rust spots. After college when you have a career and stability then buy the car you really want.

I bought a truck in college that didn't run. I spent a lot of money just to trailer it from farms to houses to new house. It takes a lot of money when you find hidden costs like.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

What kind of car is it? Personally I like to work on stuff that will sell if I have to. It takes just as much time and money to fix up a 4 door as it does a 2 door and the 2 door is worth way more if you decide to sell it. 2-3 times as much.

6. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I too would love to build one from scratch, but my skill level isn't where it needs to be either to do that. I have owned several old cars though, and I have found that spending a little more up front for a running/driving example allows you to come out much better in the long run! Also, the more people in your area you network with the better off you'll be. These message boards are great for tough questions too. One of the first cars I did, I had so much work done on it at this one particular shop that the owner and I became pretty good friends. Now, he will just let me use his shop and offer advice when I need it. I don't even have to pay anymore, lol! If we tackle something big, I order him a few cool hot rod shirts and he is happy. Like everyone says, you gotta start somewhere. Just don't buy a rusted out shell and you'll be fine. Although, there are plenty of guys on here that can turn those rusted out shells into AMAZING traditional hot rods!!!

7. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

Make a list and gameplan, then stick to it!