Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adjusting the clutch (never done it)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob68, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Rob68

Rob68

Hey guys, I've got my 58 F100 heap running and have a question regarding the clutch adjustment on the 3 speed. When I got the truck it wasn't running. The adjusting rod from the slave cylinder was adjusted about 3/4 of the way out. I've put in a new slave and master cylinder in and bled the system. It runs and drives now but the clutch pedal comes nearly all the way up before the clutch engages, seems to go through the gears fine otherwise.
    My question is, how do I adjust the slave cylinder rod.
    I know that it screws in or out but I read on line somewhere that the truck has to be in neutral and the rear end jacked up. I can understand being in neutral but why would the truck need to be lifted up?
    There may be more to this problem, but I've never done it before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all,
    Rob68

2. squirrel

squirrel

Should have some free play in the pedal, like he said...so you have to push the pedal down a little before anything happens. If the clutch releases as soon as you push the pedal then start with getting some free play in it.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Isn't a hydralic clutch pretty much self adjusting as far as free pedal.

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

sunbeam: Yes on most late model apps since mid -late 80s. Most of those have slaves inside the bellhousing.

Rob68 : you have it easy ,with the bottom cover off the bell look up at the release bearing and adjust the slave pushrod to give about 1/16 -3/32nd clearance between the bearing and clutch fingers. That should give you about 1" free play at the pedal.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As a aside I once bought a old Toyota that the owner thought the clutch was shot. Got it cheap ! Paid the man ,crawled underneath adjusted the slave pushrod and drove it away!!