Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Adjusting '55.2 3100 front fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfmurf, Aug 8, 2013.

1. I am looking for info on removing/replacing just the fenders on my '55 2nd series 3100. Maybe you guys can help an old man?
    When the '89-'93 S10 front clip was welded on to my '55's frame the installer did not get the fenders on properly. The inner fenders hit the top of the frame and need to be trimmed and then the fenders adjusted 'cuz there is a large gap at the bottoms of both fenders to the doors. I see the bolts holding the inner fenders to the outer fenders (all along the top edge under the hood). I do not know if the inner and outer fenders need to be unbolted from each other or not? Maybe this can be done with them still together (after trimming the inner fenders). The Radiator Support was not even in the truck nor was the proper Radiator (which was zip-tied in place). I want to get the fenders aligned properly before securing the OEM Radiator Support and Radiator in place. Thus, there are NO connections between the Radiator Support and the Fenders to unbolt, YET. I have not located what needs to be unbolted to release the fenders from the cab (my old bones don't bend very well any more). Can anyone advise me where the bolts are located that hold the Fenders to the Cab please? Anything else I need to attend to to do this right? Murf

2. 6-71

6-71

I can't help you with the fender removal,But it sounds to me that you have a larger problem that won't be helped by changing the fenders.The fitment problems you have indicate the frame clip is not properly installed in your frame.:eek:

3. the clip may or my not be correct, but the fenders bolt on one bolt at the top rear of the fender-to-cab, and one bolt at bottom rear of fender-to-cab. good luck.
    with any clip, you almost always need to trim the inner fenders to clear the new clip, that will help you a lot.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I can help. The fenders are bolted to the inner fenders, and are also bolted to the cab behind the front wheels, right where the fenders meet the cab. The inner fenders are also bolted to the cab at the firewall, one bolt for each inner fender, and at the radiator core support.

Your gap issue will likely be solved by shimming the cab to the frame mounts. Since you say you have a large gap at the bottom, you need to add some shims to raise the front of the cab to get the gaps right. This is pretty easy to do, just unbolt the 2 front bolts that hold the cab to the frame, find a way to lift up on the cab, and slide in enough shims between the cab and the rubber mounts to achieve the right gaps. You will need to loosen the steering column drop bolts before lifting the cab, to prevent it from fighting you.

I hope this helps.

5. Thank you guys. I will follow your guidance and tell you what happens when I "git-'er-dun". :D Murf